News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Car Stolen

Started by jay, July 13, 2007, 10:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary

You are correct of course about email and such and to be honest i didnt really think about it. Next time i hear them speaking of the crime i will do that.

Towntalk

You could e-mail Mangino and Rivers voicing your opinion. They do read all of their e-mail, and as for local crime problems. both River and Verb address this problem on a regular basis. In point of fact Verb was on this very topic Friday afternoon. Unfortunately he doesn't read his e-mail though.

Likewise on the WKBN web site they have a chat room where you can make your voice heard, and both Rivers and Mangino monitor what's being posted.

As for snail mail that's an option also.

Mary

OK to answer your question. I am at work starting at 8am. So i hear about 45minutes of mangino on my way in. Dan Rivers is on while i am at work. Ron and Casey are on until 6 however most of the time i don't listen on my way home and once i get home i do not listen to any of the shows.
As for calling in, because i only listen in the car on my way into work alot of the time I don't hear the conversations about the area. Yea i could bring in a radio and listen some at work however i dont think my boss would be all that happy if i got on the phone with talk radio on his time!  :) These are not excuses but a simple explanation of my situation. If i was home during these times maybe i would listen more and be inclined to call in when i hear something to do with the local area.
I do want to attend city counsel meetings however until i graduated i always had class. I hope to be able to attend one soon.

Rick Rowlands

Not everyone who participates in this forum just sits and talks.  Some of us are working their butts off trying to improve this community.  Also some of us have better things to do than listen to MoRon and Casey.

Towntalk

Aren't most of them termed out? So what can they do except blow hot air at this point? They are part of the problem we have anyway. They've had ample time to accomplish something and preferred to sit on their hands.

No Jay, talking to them will accomplish absolutely nothing, and anyway, there is nothing that they can do to get the Judges off their backsides and start doing the job we're paying them to do, nor do they have anything that they can do to get Paul Ganes to get off the dime and start doing his job.

Talking to the City Council at this point is like talking to the side wall of the Home Savings and Loan Building.

Tell me something all of you, what is so difficult about taking the Talk Shows up on their repeated offers?  Are you all cowards afraid of voicing your opinion publicly.

All the elected officials are tuned into these programs, and they know that if they don't do something that these programs will hang them out to dry when they come up for reelection.

I hate to be so strident on this subject, but to be perfectly honest, you're absolutely frustrating. You sit around here where you don't even have to use your real names and gripe, yet when the opportunity is handed to you by the local radio stations to voice your anger with city and county government, you run and hide under your beds quivering like a bunch of Lemmings who are afraid of their own shadows.

jay

City council only meets once each month during the summer.  Attend the next meeting and let your councilman know about your concerns.  You may not be able to speak during the meeting, but you certainly can talk with your own councilman afterwards.
The city council meeting is this Wednesday, July 18, 5:30 p.m., in council chambers on the sixth floor of city hall.

Towntalk

You're not alone Jaime. I feel the very same way, and then some, because no matter what we say to stir up people to fight for their city, they just sit back and do nothing, and it's quickly reaching the point where I'm reaching the conclusion that all this group wants to do is talk to each other about trivialities, but doesn't want to make waves where it really counts.

Yesterday Ron Verb was pleading with his listeners to make their voices heard on the city's crime problem, and if he got two calls from city residents of Youngstown, that was all. The rest of the calls came from outside the city and count. Where were the folks from this group?

Shame on every one here!

It's no wonder the Prosecutors and Judges here in Mahoning County are failing to do their jobs and actually do whatever it takes to get the dregs of society off the streets of Youngstown. Why should they actually take their jobs serious enough to help clear up this city's crime problem when they know that their job is secure even when they are total failures.

Casey said it well when she said that the Judges here in Mahoning County are total failures. Instead of using all the tools at their disposal including night courts they're allowing backlogs.  As for the Prosecutors, they're no better.

When her father was the Mahoning County Prosecutor, things were so much better ... cases were moving through our court system at a rapid rate and the Jail was not full of criminals waiting years for their trial. Their cases were heard and when found guilty, they were shipped out to prison within 48 hours.

What was different?

Day Courts ... Night Courts ... and Judges on call 24/7. Not Country Club 9 to 4 Judges. We had hard nose no nonsence Judges back then that took their jobs seriously.

Jaime Hughes

Hearing about the car being stolen from that lot next to Cedar's really upset me for some reason.
Last night I had a conversation with an older gentlemen who commended my work, (Please note, Im not anyone special...just another person who wants to see the City grow..), and he said that helping the downtown and surrounding areas is like an uphill battle.

After that I almost felt discouraged because it feels like no matter what I, or any of the other organizations are doing are going to help. I understand that it will take time but it just feels that things like this really deter alot of our prosperity.

I felt the Cedars was the only place that I could leave my car, downtown was the only place I felt I could walk in daytime and be okay alone, even the early morning hours. It's a shame, Im not sure what upsets me more, it's a mixture of sad and mad.

I just close my eyes and wonder what Youngstown would be like if the steel mills stayed, if Idora was still open, if the Northside was for the rich only, if all the theatres downtown were still alive and running. The sad part is...thats all I'll ever do is wonder.

I'll drive past all the steel mills and see death, death just lying along the riverside. Many kids my age dont know nor care about those buildings, little do they know it's what basically made this fine city and raised alot of their families. People drive past Idora and don't care, they think another vacant lot... if they only knew what beauty it once held.

Everything in this city has some history, B & O, Oakhill, All the now closed Catholic Schools, even the abandoned buildings...they all tell a story, and now they are getting torched, tagged on, stripped of their dignity, and I am tired of it.

Its just discouraging, I mean...amazing people like DEFEND YOUNGSTOWN, Phil Kidd is trying to make Youngstown have a better reputation...and everyone is all for that but then things like this happen then kills what we have going for the downtown.

I have heard at many meetings that if we want reformation and repair, we need to start with downtown...this is true, but with things like this it makes you question...can I even walk into Cedars or another area business downtown and worry about my car?...my belongings?

I'm sorry, I just needed to vent...this car ordeal had been on my mind all night. Im not sure if any of you think its THAT big of deal (which im sure you do!), it's just hard for me to think that way because I had given up a lot for my City because I love it... I had given up everything because I cared about our history and education to my generation and for what I think sometimes....for someone to steal, rob, kill another?

jay

On Tuesday evening, a car was stolen from the parking lot next to Cedars as the owner dined inside.  The car was later recovered after being crashed into a building on the east side.  The car was a total loss.