News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Looking for a Downtown Apartment

Started by jay, June 19, 2007, 06:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on June 20, 2007, 06:10:25 PM
What about the buildings between the Pawn Shop and the WRTA station. If I remember right one of them had apartments in it. It also was an artist studio if I recall.
Quote from: jay on June 20, 2007, 10:15:41 PM
Are there apartments above Silvers' Vogue Shop?  A stairway to the second floor is just to the left of the display windows.
Quote from: jay on June 21, 2007, 06:02:21 AM
Another doorway to the second floor is next to Tomasino's Pizza Shop.  I'm not sure if the apartment(s) would be over the pizza shop or over the Secret Garden building on the corner of Phelps and West Federal.

These all seem like great places for apartments. (although the location next to Federal station is less desirable because of the people who tend to hang around there)

Considering the length of Silvers' and the Secret Garden building, it seems there would be plenty of room for multiple apartments above.

I may stop in and ask about the space above Silvers' tomorrow.  If I do, and find out anything interesting, I'll post here.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Another doorway to the second floor is next to Tomasino's Pizza Shop.  I'm not sure if the apartment(s) would be over the pizza shop or over the Secret Garden building on the corner of Phelps and West Federal.

Towntalk

Jim Pernoto has his studio and gallery there or at least he use to. I don't know though how much of the space he has.

jay

Are there apartments above Silvers' Vogue Shop?  A stairway to the second floor is just to the left of the display windows.

Towntalk

What about the buildings between the Pawn Shop and the WRTA station. If I remember right one of them had apartments in it. It also was an artist studio if I recall.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on June 20, 2007, 03:06:40 PM
As for apartments in the downtown, the one's I'm familiar with across from Powers are either being torn down or are already torn down, and I hardly think that the old Kress building is worth saving let alone being turned into an apartment building. 
I'm not going to comment on the Kress building.  You can probably guess where I stand on that. ;)

The only buildings that remain across from Powers are the Semple building, and the Home Savings building.  The Semple building will eventually be rolled into the technology center. (additionally, the Wells building and the facade of the State Theatre are also expected to be a part of the technology center by the end of the decade.)   I really don't think they'll be tearing down the Home Savings building any time soon. :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

There is a big apartment building on West Rayen ... The Pelton Apartments is the name I think. Have they tried there, and also there is a large apartment building just down from Stambaugh Auditorium on Park Avenue, The Parkway Towers. As for apartments in the downtown, the one's I'm familiar with across from Powers are either being torn down or are already torn down, and I hardly think that the old Kress building is worth saving let alone being turned into an apartment building. 

northside lurker

This was posted by "Defend Ytown" on the downtownyoungstown.com forum:
Quote...Also, staff reports that plans have changed for the Realty Building. The building will now be used for upscale student housing (22 apartments). Construction should start up again soon...
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

Rich Mills lives downtown, in the "RICA" building across from the Ohio One building.  He lives on the top floor of that building.  He originally planned to convert the other floors to additional units, but decided against it because he enjoyed the seclusion.

One of my coworkers was the project architect for the Draught House, and they had an apartment above.  But I don't know if it still is an apartment, or if anyone is living there.

I'm not aware of any other existing apartments on upper floors, although I'm sure there is plenty of vacant space for one.

I would guess the owners are simply unaware that there may be a market for such apartments, and/or aren't willing to put forth the cost to create them.  (or simply don't want to have tenants?)
--Thomas Edison

jay

How many people actually live in downtown Youngstown?   There are many living in the International Towers and the Amedia Plaza.  Just how many smaller apartments are on the upper floors of the older buildings?

northside lurker

I haven't heard anything about the progress in the Wick and Realty buildings lately.  I also haven't seen any progress on either building.  But, it could be easy to not see work going on in the Wick building. (The on-line plans for the Realty building show a second stairwell to be added on the outside of the building, and the construction of this would be easy to see.)
--Thomas Edison

jay

What happened with the project to make apartments in the Realty Building? 

Is work progressing on the Wick Building apartments?

northside lurker

I have heard from two different sources that apartments in the Erie Terminal building should be available this fall, and it will be open to non-students.
--Thomas Edison

jay

A friend is looking for a downtown apartment.  Are any available?  He is retiring and would like to find one within the next six months.