News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown movie theater?

Started by Towntalk, February 20, 2013, 07:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

There were three entrances ... one that connected the Dollar Bank to the Union National Bank ... one that was on the Square (no lobby) ... and one on Wick Avenue that has a small lobby and bank of elevatiors ... the size of this lobby is about the same size as the Central Tower, Wick Building and does not connect to the banking room. All entrances were at ground level.

northside lurker

There are too many unknowns for me to guess how they might put a theater in the former PNC building.

Was there originally a grand lobby for the bank, similar to other nearby banks, before the building was remodeled?  If so, it seems like they could have the necessary height for a screen between the first and second floors.  Maybe they could build some ramps and stairs up to the auditorium entrance(s) and slope down to the original floor level?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

This is just in the talking stage, but it's going to take deep pockets since the movie industry has gone digital and digital theater projection and sound systems do not come cheap. Likewise, the new theater would be on the first floor of the former bank, and to re purpose it into a theater will require a lot of money just to convert it into an auditorium. The auditorium proper would be small since there would have to be a lobby and restrooms on the same floor. And there is the matter of a projection booth which would eat up more space and elevated.

I don't know the height of the ceiling but do know that the auditorium floor has to be on a slant, and that would mean a need for steps leading to the auditorium, or a ramp.

Because the builk of the building is for offices, they wouldn't be able to cut into the floor because of all the plumbing and electrics in the basement.

The last question is just how many seats could be in the auditorium. Even if they just have two rows, there still has to be three isles, and then there is the question of fire exits.

Maby westsider could chime in with his architectural expertise.

iwasthere

tt i will check this out with the mayor's office or i will ask him pesonally when i see him out and about in ytown.

Towntalk

"And there's discussion about a movie theater moving into the former PNC Bank. More plans already are in the works, improving the sustainability of downtown Youngstown." – Source: WKBN