News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Save Pig Iron Press

Started by jay, January 08, 2013, 10:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Towntalk

He could call the folks at Antiques Archeology to come in and buy a lot of the stuff he's accumulated ... they pay cash for the stuff they buy.

http://antiquearchaeology.com/antique_archaeology_leclaire_ia.html

irishbobcat

Jim does have a lot of stuff stored in the basement and attic of his building......tons of empty beer cans, wine bottles, and other items collected over the year....
If he does have to move, I was wondering exactly how long would it take him to move that stuff out.....

Towntalk

Jay, are you talking about the former drug store on Mahoning Avenue and S. Hazelwood? When I was going to High School it was known as Chaney Drugs and I have some very fond memories of it. You're right that it would be an ideal spot for Pig Iron Press. The question is, is it large enough. If Jim cleaned house at the present building, and just concentrated on his core business, it might be perfect,

jay

QuoteDoes the service elevator in the back still work?

It was working as of a few years ago.

irishbobcat

After finally touring the top floor and basement, I was really surprised at the huge amount of space in the Pig Iron Press building....

Does the service elevator in the back still work?

jay

If things don't work out for the Pig Iron Press downtown, I know of a nice building on Mahoning Avenue on the west side that would be a good location to set up shop.

jay

This is the poster for the
Save Pig Iron Press event.

Towntalk

I agree as to the time it takes to tackle a complex project like that. I know that I spent many all night work sifting through material until I went back to night turn at work, and since Vol. 1 had to be typed into the computer I had to budget my time since I was also doing radio talk show prep newsletters to Dan Ryan which I had to fax to him before I went to bed, since he was at the station by 6:00 am and needed the newsletters early enough to go over them before he went on the air. All this and my day job.

The newsletters averaged 13 to 14 pages not counting the cover page published 7 days a week. I was really thankful that WKBN management approved since Dan actually used them because I could never have afforded the mailing costs not to mention the time element.

After Dan passed away, and Dan Rivers took over the show, I sent the newsletters to him until my health didn't allow me to spend the long hours pouring over newspapers and wire services any longer.

With the wealth of information you have at your disposal, I don't envy you the task of putting it into a book, but it's a story that needs to be told, because the further away we move from the steel mill days, the fewer there will be who remember that part of our history.

Rick Rowlands

My office is jam packed full of Youngstown steel related history.  Copied articles, books, 45 drawers of blueprints, files and papers stacked everywhere.  Ask any question about Youngstown's steel industry and if I can't find it in this room I know where I can find it!

I just rearranged my YS&T files into eighty hanging folders, one for each year of the company's existence.  Now I keep records on the company chronologically and that will help with my understanding of their history.  I have a goal of writing the definitive history of YS&T someday, but I still have much research to do and a museum to complete before I feel ready to tackle it in a big way.  It is something that needs to be done.

Towntalk

Youngstownshrimp

TT,
Dennis or I have not figured out how to remove a block so now you get another message for Dennis, "Por Favor."

Towntalk

In researching for the book I accumulated enough material to fill a 4 drawer filing cabnet but that material is so fragmented that it has little value except to me.

Towntalk

The Youngstown Story -- The First 100 years

Vol. 1 is the main volume with stories covering that period, many of which can not be found in other histories. Volumes 2 thru the end consist of a library of literature that would be found in any working class home of the period plus material concerning Youngstown's involvement in the Civil War complete with rosters.

This is a working manuscript and that means that in volume 1 there are hand written editing notes.

The remainder of the work consists of material gleaned from the Library of Congress and the Ohio Historical Society, so I stress that I'm just the editor of the work, and have little original material.

Rick Rowlands

TT I would buy a copy in a heartbeat!  Which 100 years does it cover?

Towntalk

:) No soap operas for me my friend ... one of my favorite channels is the Velocity Channel ... watch This Old House religiously ... the worthwhile stuff, not the fluff stuff, so that's where I get my education on so many different subjects and some of it manages to stick in this 73 year old head.  :laugh: