News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Rolling Pig

Started by Towntalk, December 09, 2012, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

According to them, on Facebook, they have had mechanical issues with their truck, and should be back soon.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Did the Rolling Pig find a downtown location?  I haven't heard anything else about it.

Towntalk

Obviously Jay has never been to downtown New York City.

Unlike the sort of food trucks you see at festivals, the food trucks that are owned by professionals are self contained and able to operate just about anywhere even the beach or the middle of a desert.

The Food Channel frequently has programs specifically devoted to such professional food trucks and you see them pulling up to a curb and immediately start operating, and if buiness is slow, they simply shut the window and move to another location.

These are high end trucks specifically provided with all the equipment they need to operate in any location and can be as expensive as a new semi.

Lynn

We just got to the B & O in time . . . as they were getting ready to leave to find a space in the downtown area . . something about the "Boxcar"   , wasn't opening til 7  so  they had very few people after 4 ...        When  they opened at 2 PM they said they were packed with lines of people   and had run out of brisket already . .  but after that it was just a trickle of people .   From what i read on facebook,  they found a spot downtown to set up.  Hope they did well last night . 

irishbobcat

Will the city fathers have to create parking areas for these vehicles if they have not already done so?
I know the city of Athens, Ohio has parking spaces specifically for these types of food trucks in their downtown area....

jay

Parking spaces are at a premium downtown.  Most mobile food trucks have to have access to electricity and a potable water supply.

Towntalk

Since it is a food truck, it can locate anywhere downtown and the owners are looking at that very thing as the article says.

jay

Question

Would the average downtown worker be willing to walk or drive to the B&O area to purchase food?

irishbobcat

If they grew from 1 truck to 23 trucks in one year up in Cleveland....food must be good.....

Would like to see the same growth in Y-Town.....

Lynn

Just have to say . . we were at the B & O Station last night and bought some Tacos and a  Pulled Pork sandwich  w/a side of Bacon Baked Beans   -  .....soooooo good !!!  The owners were so nice and thanked us several times for stopping at their 'truck'.   If their food is any indication of things to come,  i think they're going to do really well here in the city !!!

irishbobcat

First we get the Pig Iron Press, and now the Rolling Pig.....Youngstown is getting porked again!

Can't wait to give them a taste!

http://www.wytv.com/content/news/local/story/Rolling-Pig-Serves-up-Southern-Barbecue/UM6UR57zKEK70d-ORY8jmA.cspx

Towntalk

The Rolling Pig is one of the first true food trucks to set up shop downtown Youngstown. Owners Gary and Jaymee Wittlock parked outside the B&O Station and Rust Belt Brewing Company Saturday afternoon.

The Rolling Pig got its start in Cleveland, but owners were looking to branch out and bring the food truck craze to Youngstown.

They specialize in barbecue pork, brisket, turkey and sides smoked and served up right inside the truck.

"I grew up in Alabama, moved to Ohio and couldn't find anything that I liked," said Gary Wittlock, chef and owner of The Rolling Pig. "And so, just started doing it on my own. We cook for friends and family a lot, and this is something we always did, and people said you should really do this and make it a job."

You can find the Rolling Pig parked outside the B&O station a couple days a week.

Owners are also scouting other locations around the downtown area for the lunch and late-night crowd.