News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Spend $350,000 to Save $160,000?

Started by Rick Rowlands, September 07, 2011, 07:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on September 08, 2011, 10:29:16 PM
Perhaps my vision of what taxes are for (to provide services for the public good) and your version ( redistribution of wealth, using public money to prop up selected companies) are just different.

I certainly like your version, but yes, our vision is different.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Perhaps my vision of what taxes are for (to provide services for the public good) and your version ( redistribution of wealth, using public money to prop up selected companies) are just different.

irishbobcat

Ricky just doesn't get it......poor soul....

northside lurker

Generally, I see this kind of thing as a good use of my tax dollars.  As far as I'm concerned, "tax" is not a bad word.  But, there are things that my tax dollars are spent on, that I'm not in favor of, too.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Westsider.  Each one of these boondoggles in and of itself is not bad.  But add them all together and you end up with not pennies but large amounts of dollars coming from you to support this nonsense.  Does it ever reach a point in your mind when enough is enough?  OR do you not see any problems at all with programs such as this? 

Since you seem to be so generous, Send some cash over this way.   I would like to spend twice the sticker price on my next car and I'm looking for a sucker, er I mean fellow citizen to help me.  See its going to be more fuel efficient than my current vehicle, so I would think you would jump at the chance to subsidize it for me. After all fair is fair.

northside lurker

Quote from: sfc_oliver on September 07, 2011, 10:35:32 AM
This really isn't difficult to understand.
Your taxes paid for it.
And this one job really didn't affect the jobs of anyone at those three companies. If this one sale saved their jobs then they are walking a high wire anyway.... Regardless, we the people paid for it.

You're absolutely right.  This probably had a minimal effect on the job market.  But it also had minimal effect on our tax burden.  I'm happy to pay a small fraction of a cent to support this.
--Thomas Edison

irishbobcat

Yes,  truly the uneducated neo-cons simply don't understand.....

sfc_oliver

Quote from: westsider on September 07, 2011, 09:54:16 AM
I'm sure YSU doesn't mind saving $135,000. (since they only paid $25,000 for these panels)  And I'm sure the employees of the 3 private companies mentioned: Carbon Vision, Northern States Metals, and General Extrusions, don't mind that they continue to receive paychecks.

This really isn't difficult to understand.
Your taxes paid for it.
And this one job really didn't affect the jobs of anyone at those three companies. If this one sale saved their jobs then they are walking a high wire anyway.... Regardless, we the people paid for it.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

northside lurker

I'm sure YSU doesn't mind saving $135,000. (since they only paid $25,000 for these panels)  And I'm sure the employees of the 3 private companies mentioned: Carbon Vision, Northern States Metals, and General Extrusions, don't mind that they continue to receive paychecks.
--Thomas Edison

sfc_oliver

Since it was our tax money that was spent, then it doesn't count as an expenditure. It's an investment......

It's the latest and greatest thing.

Didn't you get the memo?

(sarcasm is now off)
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Rick Rowlands

I guess I just don't understand the "new math" taught in schools these days.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/sep/07/rays-on-the-roof/