News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Sound Familiar?

Started by Towntalk, August 30, 2011, 09:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Don't be sorry my friend, I'm happy that you enjoyed the story. The Sunday Vindicators in th 1930's ran a great many noveletts that you might enjoy that were located in the Sunday Magazine section of the paper.

Here's the link specifically for the Sunday Vindy. Just type in 1930 and go from there

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=kFzFP8IdBVAC&dat=18960614&b_mode=2

sfc_oliver

I'm sorry, I just can't help it. I actually found the story near the bottom of the page more interesting. The "Old Log House".

I do love a good mystery.....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Attempts to revive the market in the 1970's and 1980's  but they didn't last long. One was an upscale restaurant, another was a grocery store, and another was a surplus food center which the city closed because of health code violations.

AllanY2525

When did the pyatt street market close?

Towntalk

Isn't there one in Boston that is really fancy? I know that there is one in downtown Pittsburgh that is privately owned since Pittsburgh gave it up many years ago and it's extremely popular. They even have outdoor enterainment events there that draw large crowds during the summer and fall.

In total there are four farmers markets in Pittsburgh and perhaps our folks could visit them to get ideas for making ours better. For example a Chili Cookoff to raise money for our fire department held in Wick Park.

northside lurker

Today, the few remaining market structures are treasured by their patrons. (like the West Side Market in Cleveland)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

For those who don't know what I'm referring to, it's the ongoing controversy about the County buying the old South Side Hospital.

In the case of the old City Market building, the Youngstown Telegram later bought the building, had it demolished and built a newspaper plant there. Today it's the home of the Vindicator.

Back in the day, it was not unusual for cities to build market buildings where farmers could come to sell produce, and some of these markets were really fancy by anyone's standard, but the idea of a city owning a grocery store ie. farmers market went the way of the horse and buggy.