News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

I Miss....

Started by Jaime Hughes, October 08, 2010, 12:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

Quote from: Jaime Hughes on October 13, 2010, 12:16:24 PM
Thank you all for posting. I understand that elections are coming up so the political stream will be flowing for a while. And Towntalk, I really do love the historical items that you post about Youngstown and the surrounding areas. I am a history major at YSU and am so taken back when I view your photos and interesting facts that not even the University teaches us history majors. Every time I read your posts I am more and more educated about our fine city. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as am I, I was just saying that I miss the little interesting Youngstown facts that split up the biting about Shrimps and politics.

And Westsider, thank you so much for respecting what I had originally posted and not starting another argument about shrimp. There is a time and a place for everything and fighting about shrimp in this thread was not one of them. I really do thank you for respecting me like that!

Hi Jaime, If you go back years on this forum and review posts you will see that there have always been political arguments and opposing opinions. Just the nature of a forum. And although it is hoped that posts here will be about community events and improvement and will be positive in nature ... the road can get bumpy at times.  That is what makes this country a better place to live than oppressive regimes. We might not agree but we all have the right to disagree.

I'd like to point out that shrimp was mentioned in the first post and Westsider proceeded to speak of forgiveness instead of permission before anyone else spoke of shrimp.  I don't understand why people bring up topics that they say they don't want to discuss.

Quote from: iwasthere on October 08, 2010, 12:43:50 PM
this board has its own mind when it comes to topics. i suggest to everyone on this blog that if you have an interest publish it on ths forum. do not be afraid of the naysayers on this blog they exist everywhere in cyberspace.

Iwasthere,  this is a forum, not a blog as some describe it.   A blog is one person or organization's online journal with comments. And I agree with you about contributing. Don't be afraid.
Definition of Forum
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=forum

Towntalk

My Stepfather was a tanker with the 743d Tank Battalion Company C in Europe and was in on D-Day so I was particulairly interested in how D-Day was reported.

I'm just working with the radio news broadcasts and so far have some 4 CD's full of material, and once I finish downloading D-Day +1, I'll have all the material that is available and will start downloading material produced by the AFRS during WW2 and that will complete my library on WW2.

Then it's back to regular old time radio shows. On that, not including news, so far I have some 2000 shows - comedy - mystery - thrillers - variety and seasonal specials.

Thank's for the offer though.

Youngstownshrimp

Towntalk, if you ever want a perspective of WWII from the Philippines, I have been a student of WWII in the Philippines since I was a boy.  My grandfather from Ohio was killed in a concentration camp, he settled in the Philippines when we took it over under McKinley who was a clerk in our bldg. in Poland.  This is why its sad, all this sacrifice by the greatest generation and look what we have done with Youngstown, Ohio today.

Towntalk

Jaime I really thank you for your kind words, and once my current project is completed, I'll start postng more im Youngstown Memories.

Right now I'm working on a CD about World War 2 as seen through the eyes of the radio networks (NBC-Red; NBC-Blue; CBS; and MBS) and an amazed at the contrast between the way the war was covered then and the way it's covered today.

Admittedly the news was censored but between what was broadcast and the print media folks were getting as much news as we do today.

Another striking difference between then and now the networks were not afraid to speak about God or insert prayers and religious music in their programming, which was most evident on D-Day, VE-Day and VJ-Day.

Jaime Hughes

Thank you all for posting. I understand that elections are coming up so the political stream will be flowing for a while. And Towntalk, I really do love the historical items that you post about Youngstown and the surrounding areas. I am a history major at YSU and am so taken back when I view your photos and interesting facts that not even the University teaches us history majors. Every time I read your posts I am more and more educated about our fine city. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as am I, I was just saying that I miss the little interesting Youngstown facts that split up the biting about Shrimps and politics.

And Westsider, thank you so much for respecting what I had originally posted and not starting another argument about shrimp. There is a time and a place for everything and fighting about shrimp in this thread was not one of them. I really do thank you for respecting me like that!

northside lurker

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on October 08, 2010, 11:48:47 PM
Westside,

There you go again, ask for forgiveness, its easier than asking for permission is what you and other naysayers have been trying to label me as.  This is why I fight back, have you not listened to what I posted and the news, I and my company were found not guilty.  Not guilty because we provided full disclosure up front with the City, you people decry the City but when it serves your purpose you drink their Kool aid.  There is controversy in this forum because some of you are just straight out entitlement supporters and free enterprise is foreign to you.  Just like when I outed you, you quickly begged to be put back in your closet, some of you people need to learn to be proud of who you are and the name your parents gave you.  If you wish to remain incognito, don't mudsling hiding behind a fictitious name, have a little bit more self respect than that.   It would be a cold day in hell before I quit being proud of who I really am even with my faults.

As much as I'd like to, I'm not going to debate you in this thread, as it's exactly what the original poster was complaining about.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

Westside,

There you go again, ask for forgiveness, its easier than asking for permission is what you and other naysayers have been trying to label me as.  This is why I fight back, have you not listened to what I posted and the news, I and my company were found not guilty.  Not guilty because we provided full disclosure up front with the City, you people decry the City but when it serves your purpose you drink their Kool aid.  There is controversy in this forum because some of you are just straight out entitlement supporters and free enterprise is foreign to you.  Just like when I outed you, you quickly begged to be put back in your closet, some of you people need to learn to be proud of who you are and the name your parents gave you.  If you wish to remain incognito, don't mudsling hiding behind a fictitious name, have a little bit more self respect than that.   It would be a cold day in hell before I quit being proud of who I really am even with my faults.

Rick Rowlands

Towntalk was the one who did a lot of the historical postings.

The bickering would stop if the liberals on this forum would just start agreeing with us conservatives!  Its so simple!!! :)

jay

It is good to have you on the Forum Towntalk.  As you can see from Jaime's post, your contributions have been appreciated.

As for the bickering,  it doesn't make for a good community or an inviting message board.

Towntalk

1. Jay, I didn't quit te board, I just stopped posting.

2. I just got fed up with the backbiting that's been going on lately. Also the fact that the continuing crime problem is making it impossable to defend Youngstown.

3. I would love to join in the downtown Thursdays, but am homebound and lucky to get out and about once or twice a month. You are to be commended for your efforts on promoting Youngstown.

jay

Jaime,  FYI

One member recently quit this Forum because
Quotefolks are worrying about trivialities

We can't be serious all the time.   I encourage everyone to ad items of interest to the message boards.

My attempt to promote downtown Youngstown on Thursdays has only been observed by between two to four members each week.  Even with poor participation, I will keep trying.  Maybe over time we will get a good mix of public minded activists on the Forum and the general condition of the city will improve.

iwasthere

this board has its own mind when it comes to topics. i suggest to everyone on this blog that if you have an interest publish it on ths forum. do not be afraid of the naysayers on this blog they exist everywhere in cyberspace.

northside lurker

I think it's the divisive nature of the world we live in these days.  The people at both ends of the political spectrum are getting louder and louder, causing more people in the middle to take sides.

As far as the shrimp farms, I'm all for them. (and I think most people are)  It's the owner's apparent (IMHO) "beg forgiveness instead of ask permission" approach to it that people take issue with.

Some of what you miss is still here, just hidden between the politics and shrimp. :)  But I know there are people who would participate on this forum, but don't, because of the controversy.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Jaime Hughes

I miss when this forum was about Youngstown history, trivias and funfacts! I miss when this forum updated me on events I wouldn't normally hear about and where I can buy "Youngstown made" products. I see now a days all this forum is about is fighting about shrimp or politics. All opinions are of course welcomed but it's just a shame that the forum is starting to shy away from things in the community and more towards the bitterness of shrimp farms and politics. :(