News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Youngstown Club now serving Youngstownshrimp"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, October 06, 2010, 03:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Stewie:

One last time:
1. One year ago I called the Mahoning Soil and Water conservation district concerning the water, they came to the site and tested.
2. One year ago, I met with the treatment plant, they put together a proposal.
3. One year ago I met with the OEPA on site, they gave us a clean bill.
4.  Last week I interphased with the Mahoning Board of Health, all is good.
5.  The ODA inspector called me, all is okay.

Again, if you or any other layperson here has factual evidence, call the police.  What, are we trying to create another policing agency here?  Obviously if there was any problem with the water governed by all the Municipal and State agencies, they would have shut me down long ago.  And you all know they shut me down before for much less as in outright fabrication.  No, we are satisfied and our customers are satisfied.

Rick Rowlands

Cool.  I would suggest that Ron have a few samples tested to put this matter to rest.

stewie

I think the concern is fecal coliform.  I called the City today.  They said that the treatment plant on Ploand Ave. could test for fecal in the water and it wouldnt cost anything.

Rick Rowlands

Looks like much of the water quality concern has to do with ph, alkalinity, soluble oxygen and water temperature.  Valid concerns, but generally this become a problem in ponds that are stocked with many more fish than what Ron grows in his.    Water temperature is a big problem for ponds fed from wells or springs, but allowing surface water to reach the same temperature as the pond before adding reduces thermal shock to the shrimp.

Shar

For both Ron and Rick here is a simple google search using the words Aquaculture Water Quality.  It brings up may links that you should read.  Apparently the quality of the water is of the utmost importance.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259,17291,22881,25567,27006,27015&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=aquaculture+water+quality&cp=15&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=aquaculture+wat&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=9f2370386c77b788

Shar

I hardly think you can compare an ocean or Lake Erie to a small confined pond.  The water in the large bodies is constantly changing, you have heard of currents haven't you?

I would think that any responsible "farmer" would want to know the conditions where they farm.  Land farmers do soil tests to see what they have to work with.  Doesn't it make sense that if you are farming in water you would do the same?? 

For the record, I don't hate Ron.  I just believe that he is a bottom feeder in this community.  I have read that shrimp eat other shrimp....seems appropriate for this guy. 

I wanted to add Rick that I have never said anything negative about you and what you do yet you lash out at me, pretty amusing.  I can't quite figure out why you seem to be the mouthpiece for this guy.  He can't speak for himself??  He doesn't answer questions and then you come and post and in my opinion make a fool of yourself defending him.  It appears that you both would be happy if the rest of us quit posting on this board and it could be renamed "The Rick and Ron Mutual Admiration Society".   This is America and I will open my "trap" whenever I see something that I don't believe is right. 

Rick Rowlands

While you are at it Shar why not ask every fish vendor if their seafood comes from tested water?  How do you test the water in the ocean, or in Lake Erie?  Never saw the captain on Deadliest Catch take water samples to the lab before hoisting up a net full of Alaskan King Crabs!

You should really do your research before opening your trap.  Do you eat ANY seafood at all?  If so, then why the double standard?
http://www.doobybrain.com/2008/02/08/vortex-of-trash-in-the-pacific-ocean/

There is really only one reason for your supposed canceling of your reservations.  It has nothing to do with the water.  You hate Ron, and see this as an opportunity to make a strike against him.  That is what this is all about. 

Shar

I am planning to cancel reservations that we have at the Youngstown Club this weekend because of this.  I will be sure to let them know that it is because they are serving shrimp grown in water that has not been tested.  We have been members of the Club for years and it's a shame that they will lose business because of you.  TEST THE WATER!!

I'm not sure why you feel the need to boast about every sale that you make......very odd!

Youngstownshrimp

Yes, when I first ate shrimp grown in Youngstown, I thought Wow!  these are actually good prawns and so fresh.  This is why the Youngstown Club had a meeting prior to meeting with me and actually discussed serving this new found produce we have.  Again, we only have enough shrimp for two days then it will be another year before the next harvest, so head on down to The Youngstown Club and partake of the bounty!  I understand, non members can feast on these two days.

Rick Rowlands

My wife says they are some of the best shrimp she's ever eaten.  Then a friend came over and had some as well.   Its great to be able to eat food grown within the city!

jay

Rick Rowlands

I just met Ron for coffee and a bite at the new restaurant on Wood Street.  The food was very good.   Ron also gave me a pound of shrimp which my wife is cooking up as I write this.   I'll report back later as to what she thinks of them.

Youngstownshrimp

"Long Live Free Enterprise!!"  The prestigious Youngstown Club will celebrate the harvest of Youngstownshrimp by serving various recipes this Thursday and Friday only.  These shrimp are from the last pond harvested on the Eastside and Michael the Executive Chef is absolutely excited about cooking up homegrown seafood from our mist.  If you want to patronize Youngstown, dine at the Youngstown Club and enjoy fresh seafood that is now at our doorsteps.  This gesture of support will validate that we now can make Youngstown's abandoned land productive again.  BTW, there has been NO public pork funds used in this new industry, no, just plain old American innovation without the stimulus.  Also, this is urban farming that everyone can delve into in Youngstown, thank you OSU, ODA and the great farmers of Ohio, they are leading the way!  Just think if  only one visionary leader rises up and embraces this new found industry, the global aquaculture businesses will rush in here to set up "inland facilities" because WE HAVE THE WATER.