News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Have You Ever Wanted to Run a Train?

Started by Rick Rowlands, September 18, 2010, 04:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

These youngsters will probably want to drive your engine when they become a little older.

Rick Rowlands

Castlo would be perfect, and in fact I walked around there today.  There is a 1/2 mile of track along the river that isn't used any longer.  Its right next to the future site of the hydrauic ramp pump power plant. :)

I'll call Atty. Hoza Monday.

jay

Would it be possible to use the track at the railroad museum on Poland Avenue in Youngstown?

Youngstownshrimp

Rick, Castlo has track not being used, call Atty. Mike Hoza, he is in charge there and they are innovative.

Rick Rowlands

Ever since the Youngstown Steel Heritage Foundation acquired our second diesel locomotive I have been thinking of what to do with it.  One idea that struck me was to find a location where it could be operated, and to offer the general public the opportunity to operate the locomotive under the guidance of an instructor.  How many people have ever sat behind the throttle of a locomotive and made it run down the track?  Unless you've worked for a railroad then you would not have had such a chance.

Well we have the locomotive and if I can find a piece of track to operate over I may start offering this opportunity.  This is something that has proven to be fairly successful at rail museums across the country, and I think that it is time that we bring this to the Mahoning Valley. 

What do you think?