News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Peggy Ann building

Started by Towntalk, January 13, 2011, 07:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: AllanY2525 on January 15, 2011, 01:29:54 AM
No need to take down the link .  Please feel free to use anything on my website,
as I made the site for all to use and enjoy...

:)

Thanks, Allan!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

No need to take down the link .  Please feel free to use anything on my website,
as I made the site for all to use and enjoy...

:)

Towntalk

Here's a better picture of the building that the Central Tower replaced.

Towntalk

The Andrews Hitchcock building was located where the Central Tower was located later. The Andrews Hitchcock building along with being headquarters for all Mr. Andrews enterprises (steel mills and coql mines) was also a bank which was also owned by Mr. Andrews.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on January 13, 2011, 08:37:47 PM
Westsider the view is the Tod House Hotel looking South toward the Market Street Bridge, and the building in the background is at the corner of Market Street and Boardman - The Youngstown Dry Goods Store. Sears would later locate there.

Please don't take it down.

The second photo is of the same building in 1920.

Oops!  Well, I certainly got turned around.  I couldn't tell you why, but I thought that building (apparently the Tod House Hotel) was where the Metro Tower is.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

In reviewing my library the building would have been the Homer S. Williams furnature store as a photo in my library shows the Youngstown Dry Goods store two doors down.

Boardman and Market

Homer S. Williams furnature Store
Central Christian Church
Youngstown Dry Goods Store
Westminster Church

Front and Market

Towntalk

Westsider the view is the Tod House Hotel looking South toward the Market Street Bridge, and the building in the background is at the corner of Market Street and Boardman - The Youngstown Dry Goods Store. Sears would later locate there.

Please don't take it down.

The second photo is of the same building in 1920.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on January 13, 2011, 07:42:14 PM
Here's a picture of the building during World War 1.

If that is the same building, it went through EXTENSIVE renovations to give it its current appearance.

Here is another picture of public square from AllanY's site: (Allan, please let me know if you want me to delete this link)

You can see a 4 story building where the Peggy Ann building is now.  So, would there be another building built between the time when the above photo was taken, and when the Peggy Ann building was built?
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Here's a picture of the building during World War 1.

northside lurker

According to the Mahoning County Auditor's website, the Peggy Ann building was built in 1910.  But, I find that the older the date, the less I trust that site anymore.

Here are two examples of why: a house that I'm interested in (another one) on North Heights is listed as built in 1912, but I can see it clearly on AllanY's 1907 Sanborn map.  Another, more damning example, is that it lists the Wick Log Cabin as built in 1900, when I would assume that is one of the oldest structures on the north side. ???
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

In going through newspapers from the early 1900s Ritter and Myers Clothing store was located on the site that the Peggy Ann building is located and my question is: is the Peggy Ann building an upgrade of the Ritter and Myers store or was the Ritter and Myers building demolished to build the Peggy Ann Store?