News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Harry Warner

Started by Towntalk, September 21, 2010, 11:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

ANSWER:

Rex ( Harry Warner and David Robbins)

Warner Brothers also bought the Bijou Theater in Youngstown. The question is which Bijou because there were two Bijou theaters in Youngstown over the years, one on the Square, and one on East Federal Street.

Ben Warner, the father of the Warner brothers built some apartments on the corner of Elm and Bissell where they lived until 1924.

Towntalk

I can safely post this link for you to try finding the answer because there are 20 different theaters that are represented.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/564203901bfQxWA?start=0

Towntalk

Sorry, it wasn't either.

The two theaters I need the answer to were in operation in 1910, and ads for them can be viewed on my Webshots site.

Rushblvd

Towntalk

Clue: One of the theaters can be seen in early postcards that show the First National Bank.

Towntalk

Joly the Cameo was a second/third run house and the theater in the background was the Warner.

The Strand was built and operated by the owners of the Tod Hotel.

The two in the answer were long gone before these theaters were opened.

Rushblvd, you have that right.

joly1584

Two theaters I have found mentioned, but I can't find any history on are:

1)  Strand Theater - it's listing on cinematreasures.org says it was on central square

2)  Cameo Theater - a picture in These Hundred Years - the picture was taken in 1937, the picture looks like the Liberty/Paramount

Rushblvd

I do not have an answer---but in reading about the Warner's --WoW facinating but sad story

Towntalk

We are all aware of the Warner Brothers building the Warner Theater, but long before it was another Youngstown theater owned by Harry Warner in partnership with David Robbins, and was located on West Federal Street. Can anyone name it?