News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Nigerian Emails

Started by ForumManager, July 09, 2008, 10:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

Thanks for the suggestion. The  paid services Tripod offers are kind of expensive and there's hardly enough space for even  the data that is stored for this forum, barring the other sites on the account.

The account needs a high end service that allows multiple domains, php scripts and databases as well as access to the php.ini file. 

So far, I plan to go with one of the following -  lunarpages, hostgator, inmotion (business class, power), start logic.  I need to read the terms of service and fine print more carefully on each.   Bluehost, Host Monster and Fast Domain are all the same owners... the ones I want to get away from. 

Godaddy might be ok. Although, they inundate the client with ads when in the account area and it is annoying. Even a seasoned person could click on something by mistake and charges are added to the account. They also have some minor quirky issues with settings that I don't care for.  Although, on the web accounts I administer that are housed on Godaddy, there has never been an unexplained account suspension. They always answer their phone and are always courteous and gracious.... in my opinion that is the most important thing... treat your customers with respect,  admit when you don't have the answer and try to direct them to the answer... so I guess Godaddy is also in the top 5.

Towntalk

Have you looked into the host I use? In all the time I've used Tripod I haven't had a single problem or content complint. I do know that thousands of groups use Tripod since I took a look at the listing to see if there were any that I could link to.

Before using Tripod, I was using another and had all sorts of problems just trying to update it (Orgfree.com) and also found it quite unstable, now with Tripod I'm quite happy.

ForumManager

Well I have pulled my hair out for several weeks and am looking for a new home.  The host, which formerly was my favorite host is now playing games. As you are aware the site was shut down twice for sending Nigerian Emails.  I have gone over every security document that I can find related to the scripts we have running and this site is not at risk for breaching security.  The host itself offers a one click install of all of the scripts used on this site but the installer software they use is always behind on security updates so I do not use the one click method.  I install manually in order to keep up with security releases.

I feel this issue is not that I am sending  Nigerian Scam Email because they will not respond to  my requests for details.

It could be that this account is  targeted for one of the following reasons:

They offer unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth,  and when a customer actually uses these resources, they are harassed. I did not come to this conclusion on my own.  I found discussion and reviews this week while looking for a new home and this has  happened to many customers.

The other reason MV could be under scrutiny is the content on this forum. The host is based in Utah and the CEO went to Brigham Young.  Apparently they are Mormon and have a strict code of what is allowed on the server.  Even one swear word could suspend my account.  I have no problem with this  strict policy, even though the terms of service have been heavily modified from when I signed on.  However, I have read some of the posts by the CEO on various forums and his blog  and I find his viewpoints to be close-minded, intolerant and even abusive at times. He categorizes his customers 3 ways and none of the descriptions seem complimentary.

We are a diverse crowd on this site ranging from far left to far right.   I feel the discussion sometimes gets controversial but in this country we are entitled to free speech. In my search for a new host, freedom of speech will be a priority.  If not clearly outlined in the Terms of Service, I will ask specifically about political discussion before I click pay.

The host's abuse department has told me that they are enabling  email again and if I send another Nigerian email we are toast.  Since I have been one of the difficult customers this week... even received an email from the CEO in response to an email where I asked for copies of the emails and outlined my scripts are more up to date than the ones they offer... Anyway, since I am one of the difficult customers, I am bracing for the worst.   

If you find the account suspended, it means that I have been sending those da*n Scam Emails again. 

If it goes down it  will be back up ASAP in another location.  Please use the mahoningvalley yahoo group for interim discussion.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mahoningvalley/

I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

You will now receive email notices for your topic subscriptions and IMs at least until the poop hits the fan again.