News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

MOONEY _ BREAKING NEWS

Started by Towntalk, June 04, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

It would be wonderful if the media sent out reporters to cover every single "public meeting" that is held in it's coverage area ... and perhaps that should be a law ... but the simple fact is that none of the media outlets ... radio ... television ... newspapers have either unlimited budgets or resources (reporters) to accomplish this great service. The radio stations have five minutes out of an hour to do the news, and part of that five minutes is devoted to commercials ... TV news minus commercials averages fifteen minutes and individual stories about a minute per story. Newspapers on the other hand have more space for individual stories, but limited resources (reporters) that are classified as general reportes who cover stories not assigned to specialized reporters (politics - education - religion - sports - police - etc.).

So what is the answer? They must budget their resources, and if that means not covering every single meeting or event so be it.

This condition might not please every listener, viewer, or reader, and obviously it doesn't, but that is the way it has to be.

By the way, a number of newspapers are cutting back on staffers. The latest cutbacks are in newspaper photography departments. Tasks that were once handled by photographers are now being done by the reporters assigned to stories using the camera on their phones, while other newspapers are devoting more stories to their web sites that may not appear in the print edition.

This hasn't happened here yet, but it is coming as newspapers modernize thanks to the new technologies that are driving readers away from print editions in favor of getting their news via web sites.

iwasthere

this decision was made by one man, who ignorned a paid consulting firm feasibilty study. bm played politics in this decision. i am going to bide my time to see where cm will be in the next five yrs. will they have additional one hundred paying students without using state vouchers that these stds are scholar bound instead of football bound. catholic churches are assess a percentage per yr to finance the cat hs. i would like to see non cat stds's chs to be assess the same to help with their education endeavor. what are the plans to make the entry ways into cm safe for sub stds.

iwasthere

this decision was made by one man, who ignorned a paid consulting firm feasibilty study. bm played politics in this decision. i am going to bide my time to see where cm will be in the next five yrs. will they have additional one hundred paying students without using state vouchers that these stds are scholar bound instead of football bound. catholic churches are assess a percentage per yr to finance the cat hs. i would like to see non cat stds's chs to be assess the same to help with their education endeavor. what are the plans to make the entry ways into cm safe for sub stds.

jay

The reporters for local media don't always know/tell the entire story.  I know of several "stories" that never were reported because the media failed to send a reporter to cover the public meeting.

Towntalk

If this was the case, why wasn't it reported in the story? It would be no great secret. And who were these people that told you ... people can, and do hypothesize on many things, but unless they have the sort of inside information that the Bishop has ... in writing ... all that it amounts to is guesswork since there are still a large enough number if wealthy families left in the valley that would gladdly help fund a new school in the valley. The York family comes to mind as an example.

Billy Mumphrey

I was told some of the financial backers who were going to help fund the purchase of the property down by Western Reserve Road couldn't come up with all the money that they had previously promised.

Towntalk

Strange .... There were some people bemoaning the thought that Mooney might move  out of the city, and measured the cost such a move might be to the city, yet now they seem to be singing a different tune, and I don't get it.

I know that in debates there must be one who takes the role of Devil's Advocate, so perhaps these people are taking this position.

As to the church moving some institutions out of the city, I didn't hear an outcry when St. Elizabeth's built a campus in Boardman and moved some of its departments there.

Mind you, there are people in the suburbs that would give their right arm to have some of Youngstown's great institutions move to their community while closing their facility in the city just as the city lost 90% of it's retail bsinesses, and Mooney is no exception, but thankfully wisdom overruled the move, so I say to those snobs, get a life and chip in your own cash to build a high school in your berg just as the good Catholic families have done for eons instead of robbing other communities of their assets.

northside lurker

The "everybody move to the suburbs" idea has been in serious decline throughout the country for the last 10-15 years.  It's good to see that this idea is finally catching on in Youngstown.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

Migration will continue into the suburbs by the production class, away from the entitlement society.  Schools will never be a deciding issue, they will create new ones.  This is fact and can be seen by declining numbers.

jay

I thought the school was going to move.  In the past, the church moved it's senior nursing facility from the south side of Youngstown.

Towntalk

BREAKING NEWS – BREAKING NEWS

CARDINAL MOONEY WILL STAY IN YOUNGSTOWN BISHOP MURRY ANNOUNCED.

http://www.wkbn.com/2013/06/04/cardinal-mooney-high-school-to-remain-in-youngstown/