News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Unused Studies

Started by Towntalk, June 02, 2013, 07:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on June 03, 2013, 07:05:52 AM
The blame doesn't rest upon the shoulders of the city alone. The fact of the matter is that the federal government mandates that every time a local government bodyseeks to get any federal funding that they must submit a pile of studies to support their cause ... and no federal agency is immune from this.

Now get this ... a city seeks a sum of federal funding to upgrade their waste disposal system ... before they can even submit their grant application, they are handed a list of studies that they must submit that will supposedly be read by people in the agencies that will be involved in granting approval. They may seek a $100,000.00 grant, but they will shell out another $25,000.00 to have the studies written.

Do the feds even read those studies? Given the number of studies they receive each year, I seriously doubt that even a third of them are read, and only then when there's questions raised.
this is the way the washington insiders keep fam and frds employed.

Towntalk

If all the studies and reports that have been mandated by your federal government were to be placed in a pile, that pile would dwarf the Rockey Mountains, and unfortunately very few of them have ever been read from cover to cover. A glaring examples are the Federal Regester and the Congressional Record. Of the two, the Federal Regester is the one publication that should be mandatory reading for every Congressman because it is the official publication that contains all the new rules established by the alphabet federal agencies that will automatically go into effect 30 days after publication without the need for Congressional approval, but can have a dramatic impact on all of us.

Towntalk

The blame doesn't rest upon the shoulders of the city alone. The fact of the matter is that the federal government mandates that every time a local government bodyseeks to get any federal funding that they must submit a pile of studies to support their cause ... and no federal agency is immune from this.

Now get this ... a city seeks a sum of federal funding to upgrade their waste disposal system ... before they can even submit their grant application, they are handed a list of studies that they must submit that will supposedly be read by people in the agencies that will be involved in granting approval. They may seek a $100,000.00 grant, but they will shell out another $25,000.00 to have the studies written.

Do the feds even read those studies? Given the number of studies they receive each year, I seriously doubt that even a third of them are read, and only then when there's questions raised.

jay

Instead of hiring a competent staff, the city keeps shelling out money to the consulting industry.

Towntalk

Most of these "studies" are little more than make work projects that have precious little value.

Rick Rowlands

Many people sit around waiting and hoping that government solves their problems while a few of us take our lives into our own hands and make our own destinies.   Those who sit around hoping and waiting usually live sad and unfulfilling lives of quiet desperation, while those of us who are in charg of our lives are happy, successful and satisfied with a life well lived.

Youngstownshrimp

There is nothing you guys can and will do about it, because you can't.
It will take free enterprise rolling back into this armpit of Ohio to throw the bums out.
Ever get pissed after blogging and complaining on this site for almost a decade and notice how nothing changes?  Youngstown leadership laughs at us as they run to the bank.

kenneyjoe330

And their beds go unmade  ::)

Rick Rowlands

Meanwhile, roads go unpaved...

Billy Mumphrey

Can somebody pay me at least $70,000 for a study? I'm cheap!

iwasthere

tt, i read the vindy article and i wanted to put my foot up where the sun does not shine in everyone in the leadership role in ytown city hall.

Towntalk

Here is conformation about what I have been saying about the studies that the city commissions and pays good money for that could have been put to better use.

Youngstown spends $1M-plus on studies, largely unused

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/jun/02/youngstown-spends-1m-plus-studies-largely-unimplem/