News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Pathetic News For City

Started by Towntalk, May 05, 2013, 08:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

WOW Towntalk that is PATHETIC FOR MAHONING COUNTY not just 'Pathetic For City'  :'(   I am a little supprised with our Board Of Elections - I thought they were pretty good.  I am working at "The Polls" tomorrow and wonder how 'Pathetic' it will be  :laugh:   Mybe I'll have time to read "War and Peace" ;D ;D ;D 

Towntalk

When I went to the BOE web site there was one thing that I wanted that was NOT there ... A COMPLETE LIST OF ALL THE CANDIDATES ... can you dig it? A lousey complete list of candidates for ALL the Mahoning County races ... NOT a sample ballot that will be for my ward ...and my party ... CAN YA DIG MAN?

In past, I could download a COMPLETE list of races and issues for Mahoning County.

To make matters even MORE AGRAVATING I went to the LWV web site, bou NOTHING ... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Towntalk

:o  Really ... Tequila  ???   Golly gee .... I'd really prefer Irish Cream Coffee but forgot to get the fixings when I went to the store today so I guess I'll just have to settle for plain old coffee or a cup of tea. Have a wonderful day Billy.

Billy Mumphrey

Towntalk

Well tie my shoes and pour me another cup of tea ... your right so BIG DEAL iwasthere! BIG --------- DEAL!

jay

Perhaps the primary election should be called the election for political parties.

In this election, you declare which party you want to affiliate with and then vote for that party's candidates and the issue.

Examples
Democratic Party - Three candidates for Mayor, one unopposed candidate for President of Council - plus the issue

Green Party - Two candidates for President of Council - plus the issue

Republican Party - No candidates at all

Independents - Issue only

iwasthere

tt you should be ashamed of yourself with your last comment. you said the other day you been an astute voter for fifty yrs. you know you as a voter must declare a party or ask for an issue only ballot in the primaries. there are exceptions to this rule where cities have non-partisan elections.

Billy Mumphrey

On the BOE sample ballot web page, if you select the filter for Green Party you will find the candidates listed for the President of Council race.

Towntalk

In looking over the Sample Ballot I noted that there is only ONE candidate for President of Council ... Charles P. Sammerone and NO provision for a write in. I'm in the 3rd Ward so this is the ballot I'll get. Are each wards different when it comes to the ballot? None of the Green candidates are listed on my ballot, not that I would vote for any of them, but it's a wee bit strange. As it was, in order to even find the sample ballot I had to jump through a maze to get to it.

Towntalk

If she is correct, we should have the city returns in by 11:00 if not earlier, and regardless of the outcome, you won't be able to blame the system ... but blame the voters, but it won't bode well for the minority party candidates and independents.

This is why the Republicans have all but given up on running candidates in the city ... voter apathy can not be blamed on the system, but must be blamed on the individual voter who is too lazy to get out to vote, even after voting has been made easy.

jay

Sad news indeed.

I watched last year as citizens proposed changes to the city charter.  There was a lot of public involvement.  In the end, city council refused  to place any meaningful charter issues on the ballot.  It's things like this that make the average citizen disgusted with city government and voting in general.

Towntalk

The Board of Election is predicting that only between 20 and 25% of the eligible voters will take the time to vote Tuesday. This is a very sad commentary on our people.