News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Find A Way For Non-Taxpayers To Pay Their Share

Started by jay, September 22, 2012, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quoteand yet it is this very group that uses up a huge percewntage ofd city funds.

Except for police, maybe, what other city services do the "user class" monopolize?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Oh the sheer horror of it all ... imagine that senior citizens who worked their whole life supporting others should get some enjoyment out of life. That should not ever be allowed in Jay's world. The money that he would leach out of them would go to pay the bills that the welfare folks can't pay, and yet it is this very group that uses up a huge percentage of city funds.

How far would you go Jay ... send the tax collector out to grab the last cent that granny has, and if she can't come up with the green, seize her walker, or house.

I don't particularly like using the term user class in reference to welfare folks that grab at every program that government can devise for folks that don't want to work, but they are the very folks that our limited resources are being spent on because they don't pay any kind of taxes except perhaps sales tax when they buy a taxable item on your dime.

Again Jay ... BLOODY CHEEK OF YOU ...

Seniors who can afford to go to Florida in the winter also own homes, that have high property tax rates that they pay ... those taxes go to all the services that you listed and then some. And they are not leaching of government unless perhaps you think Social Security is leaching.

Would you also have the city tax as income their Social Security checks and pensions as earned income? I bet you would.

jay

QuoteIt's been said that retirees in Youngstown make up a substantial part of our population and yet they do not pay any income taxes.

Some retirees living in the city of Youngstown are in pretty good shape.  I often hear them talk about their numerous trips to Mountaineer and other gambling resorts.  Some even vacation in Florida every winter.

Youngstown retirees still expect and get city services such as police, fire, snow removal. street repair and more.

Youngstownshrimp

How twisted that the liberal dependent class would try to pull retirees, disabled and military heroes into their camp of "give me more free stuff too!"  Or redistribute the pittance that the retirees still have.  Yes, paying property taxes are more than their fair share of the subsidy to the takers.  I for one despite what mudslingers say pay thousands of dollars more that the majority, and I have and still struggle to give.  And if any hipsters want proof , bring it on, tit for tat.

Towntalk

That is bloody cheek of you Jay.

For 50 years I worked my fingers to the bone ... payed my share of bloody taxes and so have all the other local retirees in Youngstown many of which now have to rely solely on their Social Security checks because when the mills and other companies went belly up they lost their pensions ... Do you have any idea what the average Social Security check amounts to per month? DO YOU EVEN CARE? >:(

And remember this and remember it well  ... many of those elderly folks still own their homes and pay property tax some of which pays for schools ... why the bloody **** should the elderly be forced to pay school taxes so that other families children can get an education? These same elderly folks don't ask for a free ride, unlike the folks that Shrimp and Rick rightfully refer to.

And how are you going to get money from welfare families?

jay

QuoteEven though we have the second highest income tax in the state that is still not enough to take the city out of the red, and to raise it any higher would only drive more working families out of the city.

It's been said that retirees in Youngstown make up a substantial part of our population and yet they do not pay any income taxes.  Maybe a way could be found so that all residents of the city contribute to the city's revenue stream.