News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Find A Way For Non-Taxpayers To Pay Their Share

Started by jay, September 22, 2012, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

NOT TO BE ARGUMENTIVE

The idea of annexing the suburbs goes as far back as the Ungaro administration with no results other than to get Boardman and Austintown angry at us. It would never fly because the voters in the suburbs would, with a collective voice vote it down. Remember the fuss that was made when Youngstown wanted to annex a chunk of Austintown for the fireworks company and more recently when the city wanted to annex land for V&M Star Steel?

IN HISTORY

When the city wanted to annex Coitsville the voters there said no. When Youngstown wanted to annex East Youngstown, the voters again said no.

Towntalk

westsider ... I am NOT attacking Jay personally ... just the idea ... I applaud Jay for all his efforts  and maby you could take a page out of his book. If I were younger and in better health I certainly would because Jay is a perfect example of GOOD CITIZENSHIP.

I may be a little rough around the edges when it comes to debates, but that comes from the lessions I learned in high school debate club from one of the best teachers in high school ... Jess Diller. He produced CHAMPIONS ... not losers.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK JAY but don't expect 100% agreement with all your ideas 100% of the time.

iwasthere

ws why annex the subs when they are paying the bills for the city residents through the city payroll inc tx. the report states 80 percent of the inc tx are from the sub res who work in the city. as ytown shrimp and others had said in previous posts and other blogs that the city leades failed to do was to enforce ALL city codes that effected  the city to run an effecient ranned government.

northside lurker

I still feel this thread would be more productive if it were treated as a brainstorming exercise, and less of an attack on a poster who threw an idea out there.

Personally, I think the city should use the recent report to streamline city hall, and then annex all the surrounding areas it legally can.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Youngstownshrimp

Jay,
Youngstown with a population of 65000 gets a taxpayers budget of $150 Million a year.
Boardman with a population of 50000 gets a taxpayers budget of $20 Million a year.
Could you please stop with this unresearched cry for more taxes?  I do not know why some here go on this outcry about MO MONEY.  I hope you now see that the problem isn't more subsidy but fiscal responsibility.  Your beef should be with your leaders who can't handle money, what do you think some here have been trying to educate us on?  You if anyone, has read all the post for years screaming about all the pork Youngstown and the nonprofits have been sucking up paying themselves and their cronies high salaries.  But you know what, maybe you are finally getting it that the time has come as we warned you about ...the bankruptcy of Youngstown.  There ain't any mo money from the taxpayers to give...nada.

Towntalk

FULL DISCLOSURE CORRECTION

For the sake of full disclosure I will correct myself on one point...apparently STATES can tax Social Security Benefits and 14 STATES do, while 36 DO NOT.

Towntalk

Then TELL US how you are going to tax 75 year old ladies whose only income is Social Security.

You've been preaching taxing Youngstown retirees still expect and get city services such as police, fire, snow removal. street repair and more.  Now tell us just what EXACTLY your plan would be IN DETAIL!

You've been bouncing around the issue, now [/color]BE SPECIFIC!

jay

One of the recommendations of the consultant is to reduce the fire department staff by 20 full-time workers.  This might equate to closing some neighborhood fire stations.

Although the city needs more money, the fact remains that we need more taxpayers and not higher taxes.

Towntalk

:) Couldn't agree with you more my friend. Its sad that some folks seem to think that the answer is ... sock it to those seniors that worked all their productive life ... saved their money for their post working years ... and god forbid that they enjoy their twilight years while welfare folks have things handed to them and not pay penny one in income taxes to the city.

Some retirees living in the city of Youngstown are in pretty good shape.  I often hear them talk about their numerous trips to Mountaineer and other gambling resorts.  Some even vacation in Florida every winter.

Would some folks just as soon the money ... their money earned and saved ... were handed over to the city.

Who's the leach ... the folks that worked for a living ... bought and paid for a nice home ... paid their taxes ... put money aside to help their children through college ... put money aside for their retirement years ... supported charities ... or the welfare people?

Like you, I'm not talking about those with health issues that keep them from working through no fault of their own, but when I see welfare driving good cars, and having the latest electronic gadgets I get hot under the collar.

The city is in deep financial trouble because our city council waste it, and that's not the fault of the taxpayers. When the council treats its treasury as an endless well, we'll never get out of debt, and more income tax won't help ... it will only encourage them to waste more.

The best thing that could happen at this point is for Youngstown to go into bankruptcy to wake up Council and force them to show more responsable care of the city's money.

Youngstownshrimp

Welcome to the redistribution society as I predicted here long ago...it has come to pass.
Towntalk, the only solution is for the mass work enforcement of all able bodied, the reintroduction of orphanages, population control of the dependent class, and the withdrawal of voting rights of all unproductive voters who sell their vote for subsidy.  Tell me I am wrong on this one.
Only when the 57% in Youngstown are required to produce will this class warfare cease.
And I am not talking about the retirees who earned their rertirement, only those who continue to suck from the taxpayers.

Towntalk

Read Jays statements westsider.

It's been said that retirees in Youngstown make up a substantial part of our population and yet they do not pay any income taxes.  Maybe a way could be found so that all residents of the city contribute to the city's revenue stream. 

[/color]Some retirees living in the city of Youngstown are in pretty good shape.  I often hear them talk about their numerous trips to Mountaineer and other gambling resorts.  Some even vacation in Florida every winter.

[/color]Youngstown retirees still expect and get city services such as police, fire, snow removal. street repair and more.

Towntalk

You're wrong my friend ... Jay wants seniors to pay taxes ... the only way that can happen is if the city can tax all seniors income and for a large percentage of them that is Social Security and they can't do that.

Senios already pay taxes ... property taxes ... their water bills go to pay for trash pickup. And those that do have part time jobs pay city income tax

And yes there is a way for all city residents including seniors to pay their fare share and that is an across the board sales tax on every item they buy including food and clothing that way the welfare folks would have to pay taxes as well as the rest of us.

IF the folks that are so opposed to the city taking advantage of the oil boom would buzz off, the city could be drawing in more cash, and then it could look at reducing city income tax.

northside lurker

YMHA is a county entity, and isn't funded through city income taxes.

It seems to me that the point of this thread was to discuss ways to reduce the income tax.  If you're so offended by Jay's idea, can you come up with some other way to ensure "all residents of the city contribute to the city's revenue stream?"
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

My heavens isn't that enough? Look at the city's crime rate. Tell me that retirees use the police as much as the user class does. Then there is the MHA that keeps a roof over their heads. Only a small number of Youngstown's seniors rely on MHA.

Tell you what ... as a senior citizen myself ... lets all boycott every event in the city ... no more volunteering ... no more buying in the city, ... no more supporting local causes. Lets take all our money out of Youngstown and spend it in Liberty and Boardman and to **** with Youngstown.

Oh and by the way, the city can not under federal law treat Social Security checks as earned income and tax it.