News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Find A Way For Non-Taxpayers To Pay Their Share

Started by jay, September 22, 2012, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

if you are talking about wfm i would enforce the wf worklaws and have the police dept enforce the curvew law with a heavy hand.

Towntalk

:)

What about those stay at home moms who are nothing more than lay abouts gorging themselves with bon bons and playing canasta with other lay about moms while sipping on wine while their rug rats run the streets at all hours? Should they be taxed the flat tax?

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on October 01, 2012, 10:22:42 AM
Flat tax on everybody (I hope that wouldn't include children) as you proposed earlier.
only on children whose lemonade stands make over sixty dollars a wk.

Towntalk

Flat tax on everybody (I hope that wouldn't include children) as you proposed earlier.

iwasthere

rr what do you mean by momentary laspe? is that like a senior moment? tt i do no understd where your are going with your message, can you elborate?

Towntalk

Would this include those little old ladies and gents in Hospis and Nursing Homes? And what about the lifers in prison? All these folks consume large chunks of tax dollars and give nothing back. And what about the mentally challenged, or those with MS, MD, or Cerebral Palsy? Again, these folks use up tax dollars and give little if anything back. Finally what about the blind, the amputees, or the men and women that came back from the war with injuries so severe that they can't hold down a job?

Rick Rowlands

iwasthere, you just had a great thought thjat I agree with. I am sure it was just a momentary lapse.

The city is supposed to maintain the non interstate state routes in the city.  "Supposed".  In reality, there is no maintenance being performed.  Only little used streets such as Arrow, Avon and Crescent Streets are being repaved.  Someone in the city is looking at the street traffic statistics and paving the streets with the lowest numbers.

iwasthere

there should be a flat tax for everyone with the same deductions for everyone thus ending this divide and conquer in our society.  we, the usa citizens can work on the real problems that effect our grt country.

Youngstownshrimp

Looks like Stewie ran away again with his tail between his legs.
For a minute I thought the brains didn't all drain away from Youngstown, then I pondered Stewie's outburst here and just shook my head in defeat that I am proven right again, are there any innovators and intellectuals like Rick left in the Valley? :'(

Youngstownshrimp

For a minute there I thought nameless Stewie was exuding some type of intelligence ; then I kept reading and thought yeah, City trucks and police running security and maintenance on 680.  I remember this Youngstown  underachiever.  Yes Stewie I continue to pay more taxes than you and the 99%, and I wonder why I do it, supporting the takers of society.

Towntalk

Quote me if I'm wrong but doesn't the state maintain I-680. I don't know who maintains the older state routes such as 422 etc but perhaps someone would be able to enlighten us.

stewie

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on September 24, 2012, 09:03:22 PM
Westsider, never happen.  The taxpayers of the suburbs would revolt if and leave if the recepient class annexes the township.  They will never be a part of a subsidized civilization.
Jay, you're losing me here.  So you are saying there is even more money the City is sucking down and squandering from these public businesses.

No. I think what Jay is saying is that the City is obligated to provide  a SIGNIFICANTLY larger amount of services then Boardman township. Besides the ones Jay mentioned they also maintain the areas only Bomb Squad, they have more miles of road ways to maintain.  The townships do not maintain any state routes.  The City maintains all state routes even the highways, sans I680.  That includes paving, traffic control, snow removal, patching, and mowing. They also operate a public works department including building inspection and engineering.  Using population to make a comparison is flawed and i would expect more from  a study that they paid a quarter of a million dollars for. Regardless of the population roads, sewers waterlines remain and must be maintained. The fire department has more area to cover and vacant houses must still be dealt with during fires.  People think they have all of the answers without understanding the questions.  I hope this clears things up.  Oh and Ron if you want to help out how about paying the back taxes you owe.  The City could use the money.

Youngstownshrimp

Westsider, never happen.  The taxpayers of the suburbs would revolt if and leave if the recepient class annexes the township.  They will never be a part of a subsidized civilization.
Jay, you're losing me here.  So you are saying there is even more money the City is sucking down and squandering from these public businesses.

jay

Regarding the budgets of Youngstown and Boardman Township

Many services used by the residents of Boardman do not show up on the books of Boardman Township.

A Few Examples

The City of Youngstown supplies drinking water to a large portion of Boardman Township.  Because Boardman doesn't own the water system, the transactions for the sale of water (and the expenses) appear on the City of Youngstown's books.  Water is also supplied to Austintown.  I'm sure this amounts to millions and millions of dollars each year.

The same applies to sewage disposal.  Some sewage goes to Youngstown (and appears financially on their books) while other sewage goes to the Boardman Sewage Plant which is operated by Mahoning County.  This is a multi-million dollar operation.

In Boardman, each resident contracts directly with a private trash collection service.  In Youngstown, all residential trash service is contracted and billed through the city.  Here again, Youngstown's trash service appears on Youngstown's books.  Residential trash service in Boardman never appears on Boardman's books.  Trash service is probably another multi-million dollar ledger item for Youngstown.

The court in Boardman is a function of Mahoning County.  Its operating costs are not in Boardman's budget.  The municipal courts in Youngstown are items included in Youngstown's budget.

Health department services for Boardman (food service inspection, septic systems, adult and child health service, and more) are provided by Mahoning County.  These items again do not show up in Boardman's budget.  Youngstown has its own health department and carries the health department expenses on the city's books.

northside lurker

Don't have time to reply to posts, but I did want to ask if there is a link to the report.  I glanced at the Vindy article, but didn't see a link.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison