News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

For iwasthere

Started by Towntalk, September 21, 2012, 12:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

i definite agree with you. i could use those reruns in all classes i sub as a treat for the stds.

Towntalk

What is truly sad is that most of the folks that visit here do not remember when there was more to radio than news - music - and talk shows. Equally sad is the fact that even though there are thousands of hours of old time radio programs preserved and in the public domain stations today have no interest in reviving at least some of them. I can't help but wonder what sort of ratings one of the local 250 watt station could garner if they would only devote say a weekend to rerunning some of those old shows and giving them the publicity they truely deserve. In a two hour period, they could replay four half hour shows per week, and with the wide variety of shows available not have to rerun any of them.

WASN for example as a news/talk station can never compete with WKBN radio any more than can the station Louie Free is on, but if they were to adopt a Big Band Nostalgia/Old Time radio format they could fill a nitch of their own.

iwasthere

tt your mother story is an interesting story about women's invovlement as pioneers in radio and television shows.

Towntalk

Some she adapted to playlets from famous childrens stories ... some she personally wrote ... station staffers played some of the roles in the playlets. When the station decided to have a talent contest two contestants would be featured each week. When WTWS went belly up economically, the show was moved to WCPA and they followed the same format until the contest was over then for the final show it was moved to the Lyric Theater in order to have a live audience.

Even though her show was more popular than the childrens show that WCPA had they had to cancel it because the family of the lady that did the other childrens program was a major sponsor on WCPA and the local newspaper that owned the station.

When we moved to Youngstown one of the ladies that had a cooking show on WFMJ wanted Mother to meet with the station's program director about doing a show on WFMJ radio, but Mother declined. Dad had passed away the previous year and Mother was offered a job at a local wholesale house that payed more than she could earn doing a once a week half hour show. As it was that was the best decision because WFMJ soon after changed it's programming format to music, and all the good shows were dropped. It was at this same time that the radio networks dropped their drama, comedy, etc. programs.

iwasthere

i enjoyed viewing those photos. what was her format for her radio program? did she read stories, have guest artists, do presentations.

iwasthere

i enjoyed viewing those photos. what was her format for her radio program? did she read stories, have guest artists, do presentations.

Towntalk

Here are three photos that were taken from the stage of the Lyric Theater in Clearfield in 1949.