News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Will the West Side Library be closed next?

Started by jay, March 20, 2004, 07:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

The West Side Library is also on two bus routes of the Western Reserve Transit Authority.  The bus stop is at the corner of Mahoning Avenue and S. Schenley.  This is the same corner where the library is located.

jay

The location of the West Side Library is convenient for our school students.  Many are able to walk to this library.

-TWO BLOCKS AWAY-
St. Brendan Elementary School
West Elementary School

-HALF MILE AWAY-
The new West Elementary School (under construction)

-ONE MILE AWAY-
Chaney High School

-ONE AND A HALF MILES AWAY-
Volney Rogers Junior High School
Mill Creek Baptist School

-TWO AND A HALF MILES AWAY-
St. Christine Elementary School
Kirkmere Elementary School

westside one

I attended two of the library meetings held last month regarding their long term plan.  One other person from the west-side was at the Austintown meeting.  Although I occassionally utilize the services of the West library branch, I tend to gravitate more to the new latte library in Austintown.  It's bright, friendly, and  most importantly, open more hours.  
I truly hate to see another building close on Mahoning Avenue, but I favored closing the west side branch over the impending closing of North.  West is a tiny little space, with limited holdings and terrible hours.  Only occasionally do I see more than one other person in there (although there may be more children there on Saturdays).  I don't think ANY of our library branches should close, I'm PROUD that Youngstown has more library branches per capita than Chicago.  Fight to keep them all open, or even privatize, if the YMCPL system can't sustain that many.    

jay

On the news the other day, a comment was made that the West Side Library may have to close.  I don't remember hearing that the West Side Library was being considered for closing when the hearings were taking place in recent weeks.

SAVE THE WEST SIDE LIBRARY
TAKE OUT A BOOK TODAY!
[/b]