News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

In Absolute Shambles

Started by kitten44505, June 14, 2004, 03:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitten44505

The problem on our block is that we are Senior Citizens, and do not have the resources to get out and mow the lots in question.

Explain why I can see the city workers with the mowers driving up and down Elm Street three and four times a day five days of the week. Can't they at the very least make a couple of passes over the two problem lots?

Block groups are fine, and I agree with the concept 100%, but there are only 7 families on this block and of the 7, 5 are 65 and over.

And what of the sorry condition at Lincoln Park. Go down there and take a look at it. To clean that park up would take heavy duty equipment to cut down the damaged trees that were destroyed by the storm three weeks ago.

We wonder why there is so little interest in neighborhood redevelopment, but when the city comes up with pityful excuses for not doing it's part, you have the answer.

You don't see the degree of neglect around the upper 5th avenue area that you can see below 5th Ave.

I live just 2 blocks North of Wick Park and you'd think that because it is so near the University that it would be a target area, but it's not. The city couldn't care less.

I want to see the city rebound ... everyone in this group know that I'm obsessed with Youngstown's history, but I get really discouraged when I see what's happening.

Elm Street is one of the main streets leading into to YSU, yet the neglect is obscene.

jay

The best thing for a neighborhood to do is to form a block watch or some other type of organization to address the needs of the neighborhood.  

I recently attended a city neighborhood meeting at which several people complained about a house with high grass.  After a few minutes of conversation, two of the citizens volunteered to cut the grass the next day.  In this case, the citizens realized that the city could not cut the grass in a timely manner.  It is common knowledge that there are several thousand vacant lots in the city and over one thousand vacant homes with high grass.  The task is behond the resources that the city has available.

kitten44505

On the Dan Rivers Show today, it was pointed out that Lincoln Park is a shambles, and this led other callers to point out that the lower end of Stambaugh Golf Course is a jungle, and I have pointed out that Elm Street has lots under city control that have not been touched all year and yet I see the trackter mowers being driven up and down the street three and four times a day two and three at a time.

We have a number of activists in this group that are seeking to improve our city discussing various projects such as the arts, but where are those who will help us get the neighborhoods cleaned up?

I've called City Hall several times to get lots in my neighborhood that are under city control mowed to no avail, only because there aren't others who are complaining.

Lets get off the dime ... there's more to Youngstown than the downtown and the Arts, or Youngstown 2010.