News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

WEBSITE COLORS REVISITED

Started by ForumManager, November 14, 2006, 08:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What colors do you prefer for the MV Pages

blues
3 (37.5%)
reds
0 (0%)
greens
3 (37.5%)
orange/earthtones
1 (12.5%)
primary bold colors
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

northside lurker

Quote from: ForumManager on November 18, 2006, 09:15:30 AM
I took off the "wiki" theme...
there was no profile link so you couldn't get to your settings!.
If something like that happens with any other themes...let me know.
I will remove the problem theme and you will be reset to the default theme.
Now that you mention it... I'm still using the Leviathan theme, and at the top where the those links used to be--including profile--there is just a seemingly non-functional horizontal scroll bar.  If you're sure that you'll be abandoning this theme, I'll just switch to something else.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

I took off the "wiki" theme...
there was no profile link so you couldn't get to your settings!.
If something like that happens with any other themes...let me know.
I will remove the problem theme and you will be reset to the default theme.

yfdgricker

Thank you, thank you! Please no autographs. :)

I checked out some of the new themes this evening. I like elements of pdx-dk03 RC3 but I don't know long term how it would hold up. It might get old quick. I still like the Graphite theme out of all of them so far.

our2cents

I love the logo and its fit into the graphite them.  That logo would fit the entire site.  Very nice work Greg. 

I see you have added quite a few themes.  I'll see if I can find time to check them out tomorrow.

ForumManager

New themes added - too many to list.

ForumManager

Hi All,

I was having trouble coding in the fire/police scanner image into the graphite theme... which I wanted to do because our fire/police scanner contributor Greg likes that theme.  Greg helped with the coding and got it all to fit nicely and even designed an awesome graphic logo for  MV. It is perfect!

So switch to that theme to see the results.

Thank you Greg!

maxina

ForumManager

I can code in the outside stuff.  Just don't have time to do it on all the themes at once.
I really like the fact that I don't have to open the PHp files to do it on some of these themes.  They have forms in their admin area where you can add coding in each section.  I am really impressed with that.

The steel theme is one to look at too.  It is simple gray but very sleek.

The colors of any theme can be adjusted somewhat with the CSS styles.

our2cents

Aero & Themis load very quick. 

I don't care for the Themis gray scheme, it needs something to offset so much gray.  Aero brown is ok to see...it's a simple balance.  I like the menu bar in Aero in comparison to Themis also. 

I noticed they both have banner & side bar space, which would allow some outside links that graphite doesn't have..at least in the current setup. 

ForumManager

try Themis
very simple and to the point.

aero is also simple

I put in text where there are optional columns and banner sections.

our2cents

Quote from: ForumManager on November 16, 2006, 03:40:37 PM
I like Leviathan as well.
The drawback seems to be the high use of graphic elements that might load slowly for dialup users.

I noted the slow page load in comparison to the others.

I tried Dilber.  It's nice that it also has the color drop down.  It doesn't have the greatest color choices when it comes to contrast.  The white writing in the menu bars tends to be lost somewhat for me with the lightness of the surrounding colors.  Is it possible to change the color options at all, or are they pre-set?  It does seem it may be a decent option for most people either way.

My favorite is the SP Graphite.  I've been going back to it the whole time I've been testing these out.

ForumManager

I am now also liking Dilber since I discovered that I can give the users the color choices.

ForumManager

I like Leviathan as well.
The drawback seems to be the high use of graphic elements that might load slowly for dialup users.
Leviathan has a few formatting issues.
They noted on this page at the theme site.
http://themes.simplemachines.org/index.php?lemma=142

northside lurker

After playing around a little, I have decided that Leviathan is my favorite.  I like the easily changeable viewing options that are available.  I also like the medium tone colors for the text background.  Most forums have a standard white background, and this makes my eyes tired more quickly.

I'm not really a huge fan of Slick Pro Graphite.  It is too devoid of color for my tastes.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

our2cents

I went back again:

Christmas is cute for the holidays.   ;)

I think I really like Leviathan (now that you pointed out the different settings).  I love that you can switch the colors, text size, page width, etc, on the fly.  That is an awesome interface for visual difficulty.  It is nice to switch depending on lighting, etc, without changing default browser settings.  It also has an option to hide headers if you want to conserve page viewing space.  One negative is it seems slower than SP Graphite.

I really like Slick Pro Graphite, it's a nice clean interface.  It plays nice with browser text size settings changes.  It's wide on the screen.  Just doesn't have quick on the fly settings like Leviathan...not that it needs it if Leviathan was a second option.

Neptune is very nice too.  The one thing I don't care for is the 3rd vertical row of links (where the search box is), and the wasted side space cramping the screen.  I obviously like the others as they are expanded out to the sides.

Sim Blue, is just overkill on the blue, now that I've played more with it.

I think Leviathan and Slick Pro Graphite are my favorites of what is available to test.  It would give several color options, etc.  Graphite is still looking to be my total favorite, with Leviathan as a nice option for bad vision days.

ForumManager

Here is the list of themes recently added with random commentary.
In the case of color choices, that is done on the administrative end, but I might be able to copy each theme and offer the color choices as separate themes --- sometime in the future.

If a theme doesn't seem to fit in your screen, please  the themes are out of the box. There are some tweaks that can be made on the admin side to make them more universal.  I haven't looked at all the specs yet.

The themes that are considered safe are here if you are so inclined to look...
http://themes.simplemachines.org/
You are welcome to suggest additions.

This forum needs themes that are compatible with RC3. Others will not work.

X-mas Scene
cute- not perfect, but nice for the Holidays

English Steel

Pn-Pn (for 1.1 RC3)
This has multicolor options.
You can view the choices  here.
http://themes.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=download;lemma=5;id=25;image
very slick  - nice tabbed format

Sim Blue RC3
did someone say blue? !!!

Dilber Multicolor
http://themes.simplemachines.org/index.php?lemma=80

Black22

SlickPro: Graphite
my personal favorite so far as it is very sleek and has nice contrast.
2 people are using this theme.
I will add the police/fire logo/link to this tonight since Greg likes it!

Proton
The babylon theme from Simple Machines.

Themis

Leviathan
http://themes.simplemachines.org/index.php?lemma=142
Very nice looking and has optional settings for different widths etc.

Millenium

Neptune
dramatic blues
I really like this theme too...
Easy on the eyes, nice layout, will be easy to edit the logo and take out the top banner.
Blue green is what I was shooting for before and I ended up with a muddy blue-green.
It needs to have the messages in each thread be alternate shades so they stand out.  not a big issue to change. Although the calendar seems cramped due to that sidebar on the left and the width of the overall forum.

Black Rain

Aero79
2 color schemes avail
blue- brown

Absolute Container