News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Stand Your Ground

Started by jay, September 23, 2013, 08:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

If this is what the state law is going to say then I'm all for it... Never expected myself to retreat from any situation anyway. Even though one tries to avoid those situations....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Rick Rowlands

The Castle Doctrine and "stand-your-ground" laws are affirmative defenses for individuals charged with criminal homicide. The Castle Doctrine is a common law doctrine stating that an individual has no duty to retreat when in his or her home, or "castle," and may use reasonable force, including deadly force, to defend his or her property, person, or another. Outside of the "castle," however, an individual has a duty to retreat, if able to do so, before using reasonable force. Stand-your-ground laws, by comparison, remove the common law requirement to retreat outside of one's "castle," allowing an individual to use force in self-defense when there is reasonable belief of a threat. Deadly force is reasonable under stand-your-ground laws in certain circumstances, such as imminent great bodily harm or death.

sfc_oliver

Can't decide until i really have time to read the legislation and the resolution....

But I thought we already had a Castle law....Is there a problem with that, so that we need something else?
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

A Stand Your Ground law is moving through the Ohio legislature.  Youngstown City Council recently passed a resolution against this Stand Your Ground legislation.

Do you agree or disagree with City Council's position?