News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Wick Park Playground

Started by Towntalk, September 03, 2014, 12:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peggy Gurney

Allan I will try to get over there in the next couple of days and post some pics for you.
We will be glad to have you come home.

~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

Peggy,

Sadly, I have not been there in four years. 

That is going to change this year - I got a lot of work do in Youngstown and have
been waiting a long time, for the right time,  to come back but it is happening this
year.

Could someone post some recent photos of the park so I can catch up?  Would
love to see all of the improvements you've described.

Peggy Gurney

The playground is the brainchild of Mayor McNally, who has two special needs nephews, and funded by a grant from the Youngstown Foundation.  It was built by volunteers from Youngstown United Way, some of those awful City Hall people,  YSU State Basketball team members, and 40 or so neighborhood and city residents, including Phil Kidd.  ;)

Allan, how long have you been gone from Youngstown?

New concrete walking/jogging paths were laid throughout the park about 3-4 years ago, the tennis courts have been repaired and received new nets, the sidewalk surrounding the park is in pristine condition, the exercise stations on Park, Broadway, Elm, and Fifth are about 3-4 yrs old and are weather proofed and painted every year (the latest being this past Friday), and newer adult-sized swing sets as well as additional park benches, are in the plans. 

Youngstown Cityscape took on Wick Park as their project about 4 yrs ago, and have obtained grants to get all of this done.  And they/we are not finished yet!
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

SIMPLE TRUTH NUMBER ONE
NOTHING POSITIVE AND BENIFICIAL TO ALL OF US WILL EVER GET DONE IF WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR CITY HALL TO GET ITS ACT TOGETHER.
SIMPLE TRUTH NUMBER TWO
OUR CITY GOVERNMENT IS AS USEFUL AS A FIFTH LEG ON A DEAD COW. [YFD AND YPD EXCLUDED OF COURSE.]

AllanY2525

It's a shame that none of the plans laid out in Youngstown 2010 for Wick Park ever
came came to fruition, but nice to see the private sector step in and do this upgrade.

My dream for Wick Park would be to at least replace all of the pavement, curbs and sidewalks
and redo the basketball court and tennis court, as well as rehabbing whatever swing sets, etc
are still left.

A fountain across from the auditorium would be great.....

Peggy Gurney

What an accomplishment for Youngstown's United Way Day of Caring!  Over 600 volunteers worked all over the north side of Youngstown yesterday, eliminating blight, cleaning up vacant properties, boarding up vacant structures, painting an elderly lady's house for her, and much more.

But the crown jewel of the day -
The areas first special needs-accessible playground!

This was supposed to be a 3-day event. But with almost 70 volunteers showing up at the park yesterday and no one wanting to quit, the structure was completed by mid-afternoon!

The concrete was poured this morning and has to set for 10 days. Then matting will be laid, a bit of landscaping, and it'll be open for bizness.

GO YOUNGSTOWN!
~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

I'm glad to hear the fountain was fixed at the corner of Park Ave and Elm Street.  I think fountains
are a nice addition to any park. I find the sound of the water to be soothing. 

Peggy Gurney

I'm so glad they mentioned Summit Academy!  That's my son's school.

I will post a few pics tomorrow when I'm back at my computer.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

It's folks like those who worked on the Wick Park Playground who are the real hero's, not the "protesters" that are too busy complaining to do anything positive for their neighbors. you guys are the hope for our future, along with the various 7th Ward groups.

Towntalk

I'm so proud of you guys that my pivot teeth are spinning for joy. With folks like you on the job phooey on City Council.

Peggy Gurney

Wick Park now has a special needs-accessible playground!  With over 50 volunteers, what was supposed to be a 3 day event was nearly finished in just a matter of hours today.
While not open for business yet, the structure is completely built, the rubberized matting will be laid in a few days, and the concrete will be poured in about a week.  It looks awesome!
~ Normal is overrated ~

Peggy Gurney

The fountain works fine. It runs all summer long, much to the delight of kids and dogs alike.   :)

~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

OK sounds like they removed the sliding board at that corner of the park.  I miss the days when the
fountain was working at that corner, also....

Peggy Gurney

Fitness station?  There is a fountain and a circle of benches around it at Park and Elm.

There are 4 small fitness/exercise stations now. One one Park, on Fifth, on Broadway, and one on Elm.
~ Normal is overrated ~