News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

North Side grocery store

Started by penguinnick, November 25, 2013, 07:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: penguinnick on July 17, 2014, 10:51:14 AM
I'm not sure about the fire station but I do know that this is a perfect spot for a full-service grocery store.  Citizens of the North Side should be protesting/demanding/making their voices heard LOUDLY that a full service grocery store should be built on this spot (doesn't have to be a huge grocery store).  If people demand a grocery store I believe one will eventually come.   

We have asked, begged and pleaded.  Neighborhood association leaders have met with the owner. All to no avail.
When it comes right down to it, the R & S building is his to do with as he wishes.  Or not.

~ Normal is overrated ~

penguinnick

I'm not sure about the fire station but I do know that this is a perfect spot for a full-service grocery store.  Citizens of the North Side should be protesting/demanding/making their voices heard LOUDLY that a full service grocery store should be built on this spot (doesn't have to be a huge grocery store).  If people demand a grocery store I believe one will eventually come.   

Towntalk

I'm confused, isn't the new No. 7 Fire Station supposed to be built there?

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: penguinnick on July 17, 2014, 09:36:01 AM
I see they want to paint a mural on the closed market on Elm Street.  To me this is a waste of time and money, it's hard to understand why a grocery store can't succeed in this spot.  A grocery store would be such a cornerstone to building a solid community.  I believe if a grocery store is built other things will come, as the North Side is prime for a small central business district, with small shops/bistros/cafes.  It's hard for me to believe that the city can't entice a grocery store chain to come here?.

This former store building was purchased by developer Dominic Marchionda a few years ago, and try as we might, the Wick Park Neighborhood Association has not been able to convince Mr Marchionda to renovate the building and re-open a grocery store.  You are right, it IS a prime location, and would get the business of both the YSU students living in our neighborhood AND the full time residents, of course. At one time, I believe, Mr Marchionda was in talks with a grocer to lease the building for a grocery store, however the grocer would have to do all of the renovations.  Of course, this was not acceptable to the grocer, as there is a LOT of work to be done on and in that building. So he backed out.

I do not like the idea of a mural on the building, but it's not my building, NOR is it the city's building.
Speaking of the mural, this is a project of one of the north side residents, with cooperation from Mr. Marchionda, I believe.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I agree. While there a a handfull of convience stores on the North Side, as others have pointed out the only full service supermarket is the Union Square Save-A-Lot.
Here where I live now, we have four full service Supermarkets to choose from within a short distence from my apartment, and two other stores that have grocery sections, again within a short distence of my apartment.

penguinnick

I see they want to paint a mural on the closed market on Elm Street.  To me this is a waste of time and money, it's hard to understand why a grocery store can't succeed in this spot.  A grocery store would be such a cornerstone to building a solid community.  I believe if a grocery store is built other things will come, as the North Side is prime for a small central business district, with small shops/bistros/cafes.  It's hard for me to believe that the city can't entice a grocery store chain to come here?.

Towntalk

For the next couple of months I'll be living on Banquet Dinners and Ramen Noodles while I build my checking account back up and adjust to my new budget, along with tossed salids, so I'll not be doing grocery shopping like I did in the old place, and hopefully by fall, I'll be able to get back to the kind of meals that I was accustom to, if not better.

Towntalk

Besides Giant Eagle, I do have a check cashing card for the Sparkle Market on South Avenue so they will gert most of my business.

iwasthere

Tt you will love your new neighborhood and its assets.

Towntalk

Now that I'm living on another side of town, I'm gonna have to start lookin' for a new place to do my grocery shopping in between my main shopping run at the beginning of each month. Fortunately there's a Bottom Dollar store within walking distence from where I now live so I'll try that out ...at least it's clean and full service so I'll know that the food there is safe to eat. I'll still shop though at the Belmont Giant Eagle for my main grocery shopping. Also where I'm at now I have the choice of four different supermarkets ... Giant Eagle ... Sparkle ... Save-A-Lot and Bottom Dollar.

Peggy Gurney

TT I listen to mostly contemporary Christian music, with some country, soft pop, jazz and oldies thrown in.   ;D
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I agree with both of you, that's why I go to Save-A-Lot during the month, and only use the Red and White for emergencies. Save-A-Lot's deals on meat saves me a lot --- 5 packages for $20.00. I go through at least $30.00 worth of ground beef a month and sometimes $40.00 worth so the 5 for 20 is a real savings.
As for Giant Eagle, I've gotten to know a lot of the folks that work a the Belmont Giant Eagle and enjoy going there. They carry a lot of the items I consider pantry staples and end up spending at least $150 a month there.
Oh, and as a side ... at their in-store hot foods section I usually get their meatloaf, chicken, and stuffed peppers, and they are wonderful.
I also love cheese and their variety of cheeses can't be beaten, and they carry made in Ohio brands that are very good.
I will admit that for a family Giant Eagle can get pricy, but there's just me, so my $150 a month goes a long way each month, because I go for the specials and usually come home with a trunk load of groceries.
Normally, I try to keep my grocery shopping down to once a month since my Bob has a very bust work schedule where he works and combing as many other tasks as possable in one day, usually on a Monday, so that during the rest of the month all I really need is items like bread or milk, so the store across the street would do for that.
If it's produce or other items that I might run out of Bob takes me up to Save-A-Lot on his way home from work during the rest of the month from time to time, or on a Sunday.
Oh, and by the way Peggy, what kind of music do you enjoy listening to?
Ask iwasthere about my library.

Peggy Gurney

My mom buys a pack or two of cigs there once in a while (when she's desperate). I took her over there a week or so ago, and the owner, Jack, was talking with someone. She went up to the counter and stood there for half a minute, til he finally stopped talking, practically threw them at her, collected her money, turned his back and went back to talking to the other person. I guess he was irritated that a customer interrupted his conversation.

Like I said - rude.  >:(
~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

sturgeons were grt business people. they had top quality produce, meats and other staples. i would buy from them time to to time when i was stomppng thru the ns. i went to this place recently and i was not impress. ed and bill sturgeonsi are rolling over in thier graves to see what thier grocery store looks like today.

Peggy Gurney

ah yes, I've been in there. I don't particularly like it. The manager is rude.
I consider that a convenience store, not a grocery store.

I usually go to Bottom Dollar Foods out on the west side or down on Midlothian, or to Walmart.
I can't afford Giant Eagle, even with coupons and sales.

~ Normal is overrated ~