News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Sts. Peter And Paul School Is Being Demolished

Started by jay, May 21, 2012, 06:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

It was still there.  There was a hand operated gong on each floor and a steel pipe that extended all three floors so that someone on any floor could ring all of them at once.  There was also an electrically operated set of bells on each floor.    No hoses or reels that I could find though.

yfdgricker

I would have loved to get my hands on old fire and alarm equipment if it was still in the school before demolition. Old gongs, pull stations, hose reels, nozzles, old cans (extinguishers) for those not hip to the terminology :)

Rick Rowlands

We were there last month and salvaged some items.  A bunch of folding chairs from the school are now down at Carrie Furnaces in our theater.  A local group saved the ethnic costumes and some other furniture.

There was a time period when items were available before the building and remaining contents was deeded over to the demolition contractor.   

Towntalk

Sad, but why were not the desks removed earlier and placed in storage as well as the books. Even if they couldn't be used elsewhere, they could have gone to the missions, or to a district that needed them. I know that mission schools in Canada would welcome them with open arms. There is an order in Combermere, Ontario that send out teachers to Hati and runs mission schools for native Canadians that asks for such things.

jay

Many classrooms still had decorated bulletin boards, desks in place, and books on the shelves.
:'(

jay

It's the end of an era for one north side neighborhood.  Sts. Peter and Paul School on Covington will be demolished this week.

The windows have already been removed in preparation for the demolition.