News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Fire at Four Seasons

Started by Mary, June 05, 2008, 05:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

iwasthere, I have not heard anything regarding the lack of water pressure in that area at the time of the fire so I can't agree or deny your statement.

I do know about the fire response that day. Youngstown AND Campbell were dispatched at about the same time for this fire due to unknown jurisdiction. Technically, it was in Youngstown limits. Now whether Youngstown asked Campbell to stay or if Campbell decided to stay and help on their own, I don't know. Youngstown still had 2 engines available in the city during the fire. Knowing how the Youngstown Fire Department operates, they would have called in all available department resources including every active unit along with off duty firefighters and spare equipment before requesting additional resources from outside the city.

Campbell, on the other hand, has what are called automatic mutual aid. If they get a working fire, Coitsville automatically gets dispatched for assistance. Coitsville has an agreement with the Western Reserve Joint Fire District which summons equipment from Poland, Lowellville, Middlefield, Springfield and Pulaski and Mahoning Twps in Lawrence Co PA. So when Campbell got there and said they had a working fire, it set a series of aid agreements into effect and the result was several additional departments responding automatically.

There were 2 main reasons that the fire was so devastating that day. One was the amount of time that had passed before the fire departments were notified. Looking at photos of the first arriving Youngstown fire units, that fire had good headway on the firefighters. The second main reason was due to the buildings construction. The main building was a large hanger with lots of space between the drop ceiling and the roof. Fire walls and Fire doors were probably not installed when the newer buildings were added off of the main building. With little to impede the fire's spread once it got into the main area, it just took off along the length of the building. Even with the entire New York City Fire Department there, sadly it would have probably yielded the same results.

iwasthere

i was at the fire at the four seasons that horrible evening. Dennis and his brother were at lost for words to describe their helplessness. the fire would not have been that devastating if the ytown waterlines were operating at full pressure capacity that evening. ytown fire dept had to call in their neighboring fire depts to help with this blaze due to the low water pressure in the ytown waterlines.

Mary

Sure. I have several. would you like me to post them or email them? Rick if you want them I can send them to you also. I live on McCartney so we took quite a few.

Carol is the market still open? We went past this weekend and it seemed no one was there.

yfdgricker

Carol,

Contact me via email. I have quite a few photos from the Four Seasons fire that I can make copies of for you. Would I be able to get copies of any that you get for my fire archives?

Greg
gricker@youngstownfire.com

Four Seasons

Mary......Let me know if you have pictures of the fire that we could get copies of.  Thanks  Carol  Four Seasons

yfdgricker

Panorama 1 is looking at the McCartney facing side of the bldgs.  My photos were taken about 6pm.

Here is the breakdown of fire departments there...

The Youngstown Fire Dept was Dispatched to 3000 McCartney Rd @ 1636 Hrs today for a Commercial Structure Fire. !st Arriving unit requested a 2nd Alarm for a WORKING FIRE IN A FLEA MARKET BUILDING.
1ST ALARM: Engine 6,7,12, Squad 33, Ladder 22, Battalions 1 & 2
2ND ALARM: Engine 2,3,9, Ladder 24, Fire Control ALSO RESPONDED
S/C FOR MUTUAL AID:
CAMPBELL FD FOR LADDER
COITSVILLE, POLAND, PULASKI, &  MAHONING TWP. PA.
FOR MANPOWER AND WATER TANKER SHUTTLE
LOWELLVILLE AND STRUTHERS COVERED THE AREAS OF THE MUTUAL-AID DEPTS.

More pics and information on the fire will be available at http://www.youngstownfire.com in the next few days.

Mary

From around 5:30

jay

I knew it was a very large fire.  This is a photo I took from Mahoning Avenue as I arrived back to town at 5:30 p.m.

Mary

Four Seasons Flea Market is on fire. Its a very large fire. I have pictures i will post as soon as I figure out how to!