News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

petion drive to elect ytown police chief by ytown residents

Started by iwasthere, June 10, 2012, 11:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

:) Amen brother amen  :)

Electing a Chief of Police is not dumb, nor is it foolish, nor is it stupid, it's downright dangerous.

Whoever thought up the idea in the first place needs to sit down in a very quiet room and rethink the whole matter over seriously because we're talking about the safety not only of the residents of Youngstown, but everyone that passes through here. As you pointed out, it would turn our Top Cop into a political animal having to spend precious time rooting around for campaign contributions and votes when he should be running YPD.

Also let me make this absolutely clear ... I want the absolutely best and most qualified man for Top Cop, and if he come from Tinbucktwo or New York I couldn't care less so long as he's the most qualified and has the blessings of the FBI. And if that extremely well qualified Top Cop happens to choose to live in Canfield, or Boardman, or Poland, that is his private business, and nothing to do with his job performance.

By the way, the State Supreme Court has already ruled that residency requirements are unconstitutional in Ohio.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on June 17, 2012, 11:17:43 PM
Former Police Chief Edward J. Allen, without question the best police chief this city ever had in its entire history came here from outside the state. So should we just say Youngstowners only, or do we go for the very best and most qualified law man, regardless of where he comes from?

I don't think many care whether the police chief is from Youngstown, as long as they move to the city once hired.

Me?  I don't have much of a preference either way.  It would be nice to have those working for the city live in the city.  But I hear that Chief Foley, who doesn't live in the city, is doing a good job regardless.

And, as for the petition, I probably wouldn't sign it.  There is too much politics involved in elections.  Chief of police is about performance, not about how well you can convince the general public that you deserve the job.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Former Police Chief Edward J. Allen, without question the best police chief this city ever had in its entire history came here from outside the state. So should we just say Youngstowners only, or do we go for the very best and most qualified law man, regardless of where he comes from?

jay

Under this proposal, would the elected police chief be required to be a resident of the city of Youngstown once appointed?

iwasthere

there is a petion drive to elect the ytown police chief by ytown residents. call ytown council chambers ask Venizia for more info. this drive is the first of many to regain the voting power for ytown residents by putting recommendations by ytown residents on the ballot to change the ytown charter.