News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Another Dirty Coal Spill in Ohio....

Started by irishbobcat, October 01, 2010, 01:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Once again you completely miss the point that I was making, but thats OK,  I expect nothing less. 

irishbobcat

If you want to put your grandchildren and others at risk for higher risks of cancers, birth defects, and other learning disabilities....

fine with me.....

Just don't do it in my neighborhood....do it in yours.....

far away from me.....

Thanks Rick again for your uncaring neo-con point of view.....

Oldmill

I fully understand how statistics are manipulated. Just look at the unemployment figures , financial markets.  Okay, Y'all Just remember From the moment we are born , we are destined to die. Some die sooner than others from many different causes . As my mama used to say " Ya aint gettin out alive" (Man she loved her Chesterfield cigarettes) Just hold on and enjoy the ride ! Nuff said

Rick Rowlands

Oldmill,  stopping coal production would not drive electricity costs higher.  That presumes that there would be electricity to sell, and if there are no coal power plants  (or nuclear) there will be no electricity at any price. 

Dennis cannot grasp the concept of diminishing returns, and that the EPA is no longer enacting regulations that will drastically increase the public's health.  It is however making the cost per life saved go through the roof.

What exactly is a "heightened risk of cancer"?  Disease risks can be worded in such a way as to sound far worse then they actually may be.  For example, lets say a certain type of cancer affects 1% of the population.  If I were to say that coal ash increases the risk of that cancer by 50%, that would sound quite drastic and scary.  But in reality the number of people with that cancer could go from 1% to 1.5%.  Now I say that it "could" be 1.5% since it is RISK that is being discussed and not certainty.    In this way statistics are manipulated to help advance and agenda.

Oldmill

Quote from: irishbobcat on October 01, 2010, 05:04:39 PM
I guess Old Mill doesn't mind his grandchildren facing  a heightened risk of cancer, learning disabilities, birth defects and other illnesses due to the hazardous materials -- including arsenic, lead and mercury -- that seep into our drinking water. :'(

I look at the conditions that we were raised with  , lead paint , real mercury in thermometers along with all the other crap . Do you really think , all the hazards we deal with every day will be eliminated ? we might as well ban liquor , cigarettes and such .(I would love to see that happen) It will never happen ! We deal with the almighty dollar bobcat . We face many things that could kill, maim or disfigure us daily. Stopping coal production would only drive the cost of electricity higher. So what then ? More nuclear power plants ? Trade one hazard for another ?

irishbobcat

I guess Old Mill doesn't mind his grandchildren facing  a heightened risk of cancer, learning disabilities, birth defects and other illnesses due to the hazardous materials -- including arsenic, lead and mercury -- that seep into our drinking water. :'(

Oldmill

I really get a kick out of this so called "GREEN" movement. There are a whole helluva lot more important things in this world to worry about than being so called "GREEN". What ever is produced or manufactured other than maybe nuclear waste is able to clean itself up on its own (and even nuclear waste cleans up it just takes a bit longer ). One example, just look around center street where all the mills used to be, grass and trees and weeds  regrew & it went back to a natural state...Mahoning river with all the crap spewed into it ...and coal ???  c'mon that is a natural element . Face it ,Hazardous materials have been around forever and frankly always will be . Try to fix real problems . Or just forget about them and concentrate on the endangered Salamanders . Ah yes all is well in the world There are no gangs ,no wars,no radicals, no crime, rtc....etc....

irishbobcat

October 1, 2010...
Water contaminated with coal dust has spilled for the fourth time since 2000 into a Belmont County creek that is home to an endangered salamander, state agencies reported this morning.

The coal slurry, water used to wash newly mined coal, spilled from a pipeline that runs from Murray Energy's American Century Mine across Captina Creek to the companys Ohio Valley coal slurry impoundment, said Mike Shelton, a spokesman for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

The break occurred in a joint in the pipeline about 250 feet north of the creek in a hayfield, Shelton said, spilling slurry into the field and the creek.

Communities near the approximately 2,000 coal ash sites scattered across the country face a heightened risk of cancer, learning disabilities, birth defects and other illnesses due to the hazardous materials -- including arsenic, lead and mercury -- that seep into our drinking water.

Yet the industry and Ted Strickland would have us believe coal ash is as safe as regular dirt!

As the Green Party Nominee for Governor, we need strong EPA safeguards to protect our health and environment.

The EPA is taking a stand against King Coal by proposing the first ever federally enforceable regulations for coal ash, but coal companies and Ted Strickland are fighting back, pushing for weaker safeguards and winning support from key legislators.

In January, the National Governors Association sent an inaccurate and misleading letter -- based on outdated studies that don't reflect the latest science -- to the EPA and members of Congress denying the hazards of coal ash and urging the EPA to maintain the current system, an inadequate patchwork of state level protections.

The next Ohio Governor should protect communities, not the coal industry, by supporting strong, federally enforceable coal ash regulations. Ted Strickland is NOT THAT GOVERNOR!

If the BP oil disaster and the Tennessee coal ash tragedy taught us anything, it's that we can't just take the polluter's word for it anymore.

It's time to stand up to the coal industry's lies and break free of the last century's dirty, dangerous, and deadly energy technology.

Don't let Ted Strickland stand in the way of critical protections against coal ash -- send a message today ! Vote for the Green Party of Ohio this November!

Dennis S. Spisak-Green Party Nominee for Ohio Governor

www.votespisak.org/governor/

www.dennisspisak.com

For more info, contact 330-503-1407