News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

How About Van Transit?

Started by irishbobcat, June 18, 2008, 09:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Towntalk - you have it exactly...hehehe

I rode in several of the gypsy vans in Manhattan - they're great.  I could
even smoke a cigarette..........the trip was quick, too.

:)

Towntalk

Kind of like the old gypsey cabs of old that use to operate here until the city started licensing taxi cabs?

AllanY2525

In New York City, there are lots and lots of "unofficial" taxi type vans riding around.
You signal someone in the van, they pull over and swing the side doors open and
you jump in.  THe front passenger has a rope tied to the side door to pull it shut
for quick pull away from the curb - kinda funny to watch someone getting on these
things....

Almost all of the vans are the "stretch" version, with four rows of rear seating
in them.  Last time I was up there, it was about $1-2.00 to go just about anywhere
the vans go on their routes.  TONS of people use these vans every single day to get
around in NYC - way cheaper than a taxi and more convenient than the subway,

irishbobcat

If the Mahoning Valley Won’t Support Mass Transit, Would they Support Van Transit?

June 19, 2008

The Mahoning Valley Green Party and other environmental groups are promoting a Ride the WRTA With A Friend Day next Tuesday, June 24, 2008. The objective is to bring someone downtown on the WRTA Bus System. We would like those participating to arrive downtown by around 11:30am and have lunch at a downtown restaurant.

As we have been promoting this idea, we have receive some negative response that the greater Mahoning Valley will never support mass transit even if gas reaches six or seven dollars a gallon.

So my next question is, would the Mahoning Valley support a Van Transit system that is currently in place in Fort Worth, Texas?

The vanpooling group -- car-pooling in a van -- was formed two years ago under a program administered by the Fort Worth Transportation Authority.

In Tarrant County, 166 vans are now on the roads, an increase from 144 last April, with a waiting list of additional riders needing vans. Dallas Area Rapid Transit is maxed out at 145 vans with a waiting list of more than 20 would-be vanpools.

Local transportation agencies typically provide the van, insurance and gas to a group of riders who live and work near each other. The group provides a primary vanpool manager and drivers.

Collectively, each group estimates it saves more than $25,000 a year on gas, parking and insurance by taking the van to work. That's in addition to the air quality benefits, shorter commute times and, of course, camaraderie.

Of course, there are inconveniences: waking up earlier than usual, rigid time schedules that don't allow for staying late at work, and getting left behind if you're not punctual.

As the Independent Green Party Candidate for State Representative for the 60th District, I believe we should invest in mass transit, or look at alternatives as Van Transit. We can no longer support higher and higher gas prices for the poor, working, and middle class.

Dennis Spisak- Campaign site:  Http://votespisak.tripod.com