News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Poverty Nonsense

Started by Rick Rowlands, October 17, 2012, 10:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Ron, make sure you have a can of WD-40 ready when Marley's Ghost visits you tonight...all his damn squeeky chains will wake the neighborhood....

Youngstownshrimp

Actually Dennis,
I don't think that would be a bad idea in today's economic and crime situation.

iwasthere

it is human nature that a person does not want to slip beyond their ecomonic status that is the reason for the safety nets that were put into place under the fdr presidential adminstration with other presidents's adding and subtracting safety nets.

irishbobcat

Ron, should we just move the subsidized poor into the work houses and the orphanages like Ebenezer Scrooge proposed in "A Christmas Carol?"

Youngstownshrimp

What drives me is the fear of being poor, my parents made sure I grew up in the midst of the poor in the Philippines , the real poor not the subsidized class in America.

Rick Rowlands

BTW, while I am closer to poverty than wealth, I do not envy those who have more than I do.  I am thankful that I live in 2012 instead of 1912 or 1812.  I know that even in our small house we have conveniences that even nobility could not obtain in centuries past. 

Rick Rowlands

Walter Williams is a widely respected scholar who makes sense on a great number of issues, including this one.  It is all about perspective.  You can either live in misery of your own choosing because you envy those who have more, or you could be thankful that you are not one of the 2 billion people in the world that do not have electrical power and have a better life than humans have had through much of recorded and nonrecorded history.  Poverty is the natural order of human existence, wealth and affluence is the anomaly.   The whole point of this is to maybe get the 99% to be a bit more appreciative of how good they really have it when compared to everyone who has lived before.

irishbobcat

Written by a member of the 1 percent on a conservative web site...yup, this is the truth because it's on the internet...
And I'm dating a french model I met on the internet....