News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

ACORN plans to shut down

Started by ytowner, March 22, 2010, 10:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

i am sure that phil kidd will start to post updates about this landbank project then we can start a debate on this issue or be informed about this new law.

Youngstownshrimp

iwasthere, you have a novel idea and this forum should be the venue for an honest debate about another landbank in the county, financed by the taxpayer and what benefit will we get from it?  In regards to my questions, the MVOC avoided my questions.  I do notice that Kidd just posted some info. on the legislation and stated that the realtor assn. approved this.  This maybe a positive thing for my understanding.  So if the MVOC will disclose and debate this landbank on this forum, we might be able to understand, help or oppose.

iwasthere

ytownshrimp jrs is right that the store had major citations against them. mvoc and the idora park neighbors asked this owner to cleanup his act but he refused their reasonable requests. it was the neighbors that voted their area dry where the store was located. the blockwatches want decent neighborhood stores that sell to respectable clientele with good quality groceries. ytownshrimp i am still somewhat clueless on the new landbank legistration. maybe the inform bloggers on this forum can start a thread concerning this issue.

Youngstownshrimp

iwasthere, I believed in them in the beginning, meaning the MVOC and then I saw how they bullied an old landlord and created a frenzy to vote a businesses liquor license down without due process.  Now Councilman Swierz tells me that there were citations against the store, and if so I will stand corrected.  Currently, they are pushing legislation to create a new landbank which will change the law and make it that if someone looses their job after 45 days of non-taxpayment, they can seize their home.  I have no problem with foreclose as it stands, because there is due process.

northside lurker

So, MVOC is either: guilty until proven innocent, and/or guilty by association.  Is that about right?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

Quote from: iwasthere on March 23, 2010, 11:09:08 AM
the difference is that mvoc is an organized group that has leaders that you can trust when they are doing good for the local communities.

Good, we can trust them.

Quote from: iwasthere on March 23, 2010, 11:09:08 AM
does anyone have info that these mvoc leaders are doing illegal activities that ACORN was arrested for in the last year?

Or can we?

iwasthere

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on March 23, 2010, 08:11:59 AM
How is the function of ACORN different than the function of the MVOC when it comes to community organizing?
the difference is that mvoc is an organized group that has leaders that you can trust when they are doing good for the local communities. does anyone have info that these mvoc leaders are doing illegal activities that ACORN was arrested for in the last year?

Youngstownshrimp

How is the function of ACORN different than the function of the MVOC when it comes to community organizing?

ytowner

(CNN) -- The community organizing group ACORN announced Monday it is closing its operations amid falling revenues.

The announcement came a day after the board of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now met and approved the steps required "to responsibly manage the process of bringing its operations to a close over the coming months," an ACORN statement read.
The group's remaining state affiliates and field offices will close by April 1, and a plan will be developed to pay its debts, the statement said.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/22/us.acorn.closing/?hpt=T2

Too bad.... NOT!