News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Sheriff's Office

Started by Towntalk, March 13, 2010, 10:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The Vindicator didn't provide much detail so hopefully Sunday's paper will provide more detail.

AllanY2525

Towntalk,

Is the county commissioner fighting the layoff?

I'm outta town, so I'm not much in the loop on local stuff all the time,
but this strikes me as a very serious problem.

Youngstown, especially, is already grossly understaffed when it comes to police
services... now the county jail too?  What are they supposed to do with the
inmates? Turn them back out onto the streets?

Hopefully, the county will try and seek some type of emergency funds.... if there's
anything that's available.

Geez...

Towntalk

It was announced yesterday that the Mahoning County Sheriff's office would be laying off 101 people, closing the Minimum Security Jail, closing half of the main jail, and some 90 deputies included in the 101 personal layoffs.

Well here we go again ... a battle between Mahoning County and the Federal Court which is overseeing the Sheriff's office.

Has the time come for the court to haul the County Commissioners into his court and tell them point blank that they must abide by his ruling or be found in contempt and face some hard time in a federal jail?

You can rest assured that after the meeting between the County and the Judge Wednesday that the Commissioners are going to come back and seek a sales tax increase next election if not more.