News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Food For Thought

Started by Towntalk, April 06, 2013, 08:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

10-4 good buddy -- 10-4, and I'll catch you on the flip flop.  :laugh:

iwasthere

the other side of the spectrum, tt the private and public sector older employees do not give up their jobs thru retire and rehire policies thus having the yg leaving the area.

Towntalk

Think about this a moment. As things currently stand, we are seeing families separated as our young people are forced to move not just out of the city, but out of the state as well, breaking up family units.

We all know of friends and families where this is happening. I know that this has happened to members of my family, and as they grow older, it is getting difficult for them to visit their children and grandchildren.

This is not a unique situation here in Youngstown, but since this web site is about our valley, this thesis is directed to our area.

Here, we have fine institutions of higher education, whether YSU, Kent, or Akron U, but after our young people graduate, they are forced to seek their fortunes in other states because of our lack of enough jobs to keep them here.

Recently a newspaper article pointed out that there are more job opportunities than trained people to fill them, and YSU recently held a job fair where some 60 company headhunters were taking applications for good paying jobs, but how many of those jobs are local?

The fact that the valley is becoming an aged community with a glut of retired senior citizens demonstrates the fact that job opportunities for our youth are few and far between, and this doesn't speak well for the Mahoning Valley.

Sadly, there are those who would perpetuate this sorry state of affairs with little or no concern what the impact will do to families, by robbing them of a future right here at home. It's selfish and beyond contempt.