News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Earthquakes and Youngstown, a history

Started by YNGAir Supporter, January 06, 2012, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YNGAir Supporter

I am not saying it is not the brine well, I am just saying there could be OTHER explinations.

Lake and Ashtabula have earthquakes all the time. Portage has them as well. The brine well could be helping to move plates, it is still to be determined.

All I am saying is that earthquakes have been happening all around us since they have started being recorded in 1776. Plates do move and their could be other explinations. I just don't think we need to jump to quick conclusions is all.

Youngstownshrimp

Ha Ha!  Look at Spisak, he is a failure as an educator so now he is trying his hand as a geologist.  So obvious that he is reading from the communist manual to spew propaganda , lies and distortions, while he heats himself with natural gas from fracking and hauls his husky self around town sucking up oil.  True hypocrite insignificant outsider of society.  Hey Buddy, fracking is coming near you and you really love it as you suck up the heat from fracking, enjoy it!

northside lurker

The closest earthquake on your list was "30.3 miles away from the city center."
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

irishbobcat

YNG Supporter.....You consider our recent earthquake activity normal?

the information you posted states a total of 6 earthquakes reported since 1986....

The average distance being some 40 miles away from the city.....

We have had 11 earthquakes with the PAST YEAR.....all within some 2 miles of the injection site....

If brine injection did start in June 2010, could it not be possible that it took over a year of constant pressure from this
one well to eventually build up enough pressure to begin earthquake activity a year later?

There is a big difference between 6 earthquakes since 1986 some 40 miles away from Youngstown and 11 earthquakes within 1 year
in an area concentarted in a 2 mile area.....

I don't think 11 earthquakes in one year is just normal earthquake activty.  Your arguments are really just typical spin coming from
the pro fracking forces and lovers......

Injection wells and fracking need to be stopped in the valley before in begins.....

YNGAir Supporter

I thought I would throw my hat in this discussion. I posted similiar information on Vindy about a month ago, so here we go again.

They started brine injecting in June of 2010. There wasn't a reported earthquake in the region untill March of 2011. This area in NE Ohio has great siesmic activity and has for centuries. I understand there should be some caution, but the other side needs looked at too in that this could be just normal earthquake activity.

Here is some information from http://www.city-data.com/city/Youngstown-Ohio.html You will see back in 1996 and '98 we had 5.0 level earthquakes near Youngstown's city center. Where was fracking then? They didn't start fracking in PA until mid 2000's. Where is the data on PA earthquakes caused by wells? Ohio sits on an active earthquake zone.

Both sides need looked at, not just the one being reported.

Earthquake activity: Youngstown-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above Ohio state average. It is 71% smaller than the overall U.S. average.

On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 30.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 43.9 miles away from Youngstown center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 59.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/20/2006 at 20:11:18, a magnitude 3.8 (3.5 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 59.6 miles away from the city center
On 3/12/2007 at 23:18:16, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 40.1 miles away from Youngstown center
On 10/16/1993 at 06:30:05, a magnitude 3.6 (3.4 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 45.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)

Read more:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Youngstown-Ohio.html#ixzz1ihp3XlkC