News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

YAEDA To Be Discussed

Started by jay, May 08, 2010, 06:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

jay

Jaime,

What is the Youngstown ward in which you reside?
Let's move this discussion to the political message board.

Jaime Hughes

I want to run for City Council, but I don't know the first thing about entering/running etc. What are the requirements? Youngstown is and will continue to be a passion of mine and what better way to exert that passion than by being on City Council.

jay

About fifty people attended the meeting.  Many ideas were expressed. 

It was good to see so many young people interested in helping the downtown.  I wish some of them would run for city council.  We need new young leadership.

john r. swierz

I have always supported YAEDA and I  will continue to, but I have a Block Watch meeting at that time. I will be there in spirit.

jay

I hope a few of the city councilmen attend.  Several were noticeably absent from the last meeting.

iwasthere

Quote from: westsider on May 10, 2010, 12:21:46 AM
According to the info provided above, the group "whithered."  Sounds like people slowly stopped attending meetings until the remaining people decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore.  This is all too common anymore.  However, I'd also be interested in knowing if something specific caused this so that it can be avoided this time.
it is a long story if you come to meeting you might hear the several reasons to your answer.

northside lurker

According to the info provided above, the group "whithered."  Sounds like people slowly stopped attending meetings until the remaining people decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore.  This is all too common anymore.  However, I'd also be interested in knowing if something specific caused this so that it can be avoided this time.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

What happened to the original YAEDA?

jay

Here is the YAEDA Revisited poster.

iwasthere

northside lurker

Is this the same event that will be held at the Lemon Grove on May 27th at 7PM?

Here's the text from the invitation I received on Facebook:
QuoteToday's success of the downtown area is largely attributable to an organization that peaked circa 2003-2005. YAEDA: Youngstown Arts and Entertainment District Association was effective in lobbying for support for legislation that enabled new businesses (such as the Lemon Grove and most other bars and restaurants) to open downtown.
Sadly after achieving so much the group began to whither around 2006.

Now we have a blossoming arts and entertainment district that shows even more potential then could have been dreamed about 10 years. HOWEVER IN ORDER TO MANIFEST AND MARKET THAT CHANGE WE MUST ORGANIZE!

That is why on May 27th at 7pm the Lemon Grove will host a meeting that will be divided into 3 components.

1) PAST: A celebration and honoring of the accomplishments of YAEDA

2) PRESENT: where do we stand today? what are the issues we face?

3) FUTURE: How do we organize a new organization that is devoted to taking the downtown renaissance to the next level?

WHO NEEDS TO BE THERE?:

activists, artists, business owners and workers, Organizations, Residents, Public Officials, ANYONE WHO CARES ABOUT DOWNTOWN!!

See ya there May 27th at 7pm
FREE COFFEE!!!!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

At the next meeting of the Downtown Business Council, the revival of the Youngstown Arts and Entertainment District Association will be discussed.  Anyone who previously worked with YAEDA is welcome to attend.

The meeting date and location will be posted soon.