News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Bicycle Racks Are Needed

Started by jay, April 24, 2010, 06:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

How does the city bicycle cooperative work?

DefendYoungstown

Related news:

A Wick Park neighborhood resident has started a city bicycle cooperative on Lora Ave. The point of contact is Nick Celio: nickcelio@hotmail.com or 559-5772.

Also, if you are interested in joining an organized recreational bicycling group, consider the Youngstown Out-Spokin' Wheelman:

http://www.outspokinwheelmen.com/home.html

ABOUT:

"Youngstown's bicycling club is a great way to meet people, improve your cycling and get in shape! The OSW is a recreational bike club that's been active for over 30 years. We have members of all ages from all over Northeast Ohio and Western Pennsylvania.
Volunteers lead rides every weekend, plus weekday evenings during the warmer months. Short rides, long rides, flat ones, hilly ones, faster and slower - there's something for everybody. And since any member can lead a ride, you're welcome to show us your favorites, too!
While cycling is our main focus, we also do hiking and cross country skiing. And of course, we like to offset the calories we burn with great food and drink! No matter what your experience level, join us at our next ride or meeting!"

jay

Here is a small rack used at a public library building in a Youngstown neighborhood.

AllanY2525

I think it would be cool if the city were to install several smaller bike racks in various
locations around the downtown.  Maybe enough slots for a dozen bikes each.

Some locations I can think of would be:

1) Right by the central square
2) Each end of Federal Street, where the row of shops, etc. ends
3) One near the library, Butler Art Museum, etc
4) One near the bus station

The kids at Choffin could probably fabricate the bike racks out of plain
galvanized pipe, or something similar.

Rick Rowlands

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.  That involves expenses orders of magnitude greater than installing some bike racks.   

jay

I once heard that some cities have indoor storage facilities for bicycles.  If bike ridership increases in Youngstown, perhaps a vacant storefront could be used for this purpose.

irishbobcat

I agree!

jay

I've noticed that several downtown workers commute by bicycle.  Some people are able to take their bikes into their place of employment but others are forced to chain their bikes to sidewalk fixtures.   I would like to see some suitable bicycle racks provided in the downtown area.

The photo below was taken at the sidewalk between the Draught House and the Business Incubator.