News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Business Council

Started by jay, March 31, 2010, 09:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Already many folks don't want anything to do with downtown Youngstown.

What's your alternative, let this saloon continue business as usual until there are murders?

Hire security ... preferably off duty Police Officers who have arrest powers ... carry guns and know who the trouble makers are.

As to the museum ... just knowing that this saloon is next door gives parents second thoughts about putting their children at risk.

The trouble isn't just confined to closing time. If Lucky Penny (By the way what's his real name) doesn't care what happens at night why should we believe that its any different at other times?

And what about the folks that want to patronize other businesses downtown including families, why should they be victimized by the folks that patronize the saloon in question?

Finally, what about the businesses in the area of this saloon. Shouldn't they have a safe environment for their customers.

Is this particular saloon so important to the downtown economy that it must be kept, even if its presence proves detrimental.

Why?Town

That's a slippery slope to have business owners responsible for the behaviour of customers in the area near the business.

How big a radius (outside) should the owners have to partol? Are they permitted to use force? To carry weapons? Are they properly trained? Do they need to be?

What if the building is leased? Can we also hold the property owner responsible? How about renters and homeowners? Should I be responsible if several of my son's friends show up at my house with someone I don't know (so and so's cousin's sister's friend's half-brother) and that person decides to steal my neighbors car when they leave?

Now, if there is drugs, prostitution, and/or gambling in the place the owners/employees should be responsible enough.....TO CALL THE POLICE!  They should also be a willing witness in court if needed. Responsibility beyond that, I don't see it.

How many police do you see a Covelli Center events? Does it have a history of problems that require them to be there? Why not some police presence at places and times that have shown potential to be a problem?  Maybe an officer or two "walking the beat" downtown and popping in to any/all open establishments periodically thoughout the evening. And a cruiser or two in view at closing time (and some arrests if called for) would help. It wouldn't be long before th eproblem goes away.

As for the Children's Museum being next door, I've asked before, How many people bring their kids to the museum around the same time the bars close? Is the museum even open?

Towntalk

I have to respectfully disagree with Allan. The owner has a responsability not only for the conduct inside his saloon but the immediate area around it.

If this saloon is causing problems that could easily lead to crimes a complaint should be filed with the liquor control board, and they would investigate, you can rest assured of that.

Who knows what's being sold there besides booze? Drugs? Prostitution? Gambling?

And this joint is next door to the Children's Museum. That in itself is a factor to be considered.

AllanY2525

The problem with "mayhem" in the streets outside the club after it closes needs to
be addressed by the Youngstown Police Department, not the bar.  The bar is responsible
for making sure people behave while they are inside it, during business hours.

You cannot blame the bar because some of the people that go there make problems
outside after the bar has closed... put the blame where it belongs and deal with the
persons who are causing the problems

If people where shooting at each other after the bar let out, and they were outside,
where were the police?  Were these people arrested? Did anyone even call the police?

iwasthere

i hope other business owners speak at this event esp the bars that have to put up with the love lounge lizards after closing hours.

Lynds

if you would like to speak at this meeting the flier says to contact Joe Iesue a jiesue@yahoo.com 814-873-8245 or Lisa from William Leonards Extraordinary Gentlemen at 330-480-0444

iwasthere

i hope they all do because the biggest problem is the new lounge called "love lounge". some of the patrons had gunfire with one another couple of weeks ago. it is always mayhem after this bar closes. patrons spill out into the streets and block traffic up so they can show their contempt for civic orders. annie gilliam must address this problem before a tradegy happens at the "love lounge". the love lounge was the former "skeeters" a jazz and blues bars that only admitted patrons over 35 yrs.

jay

I've heard that all the councilmen were going to attend the next meeting.

john r. swierz

If I can help please let me know.

jay

An effort has started to form a Downtown Business Council.