News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Speeding On Hudson

Started by jay, October 28, 2009, 09:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmo-Ytown

Quote from: Why?Town on October 30, 2009, 11:04:16 PM
In the historic district south of Midlothian I have noticed several speed humps. These are maybe 15 to 20 feet between the rise and fall instead of the typical speed bump. Maybe that's actually Boardman though, not Youngstown.

That is Boardman, I like the way theirs are set up through, I believe that they actually occur at each intersection, and the entire intersection is raised.

Why?Town

In the historic district south of Midlothian I have noticed several speed humps. These are maybe 15 to 20 feet between the rise and fall instead of the typical speed bump. Maybe that's actually Boardman though, not Youngstown.

john r. swierz

Speed Bumps will never happen in Y-town. I support speed humps. The only way to make that happen is to have 1000's of citizens demand that they be installed. I am convinced that the proper signage covers the liability.

Elmo-Ytown

Something definitely needs to be done, and I think a combination of speed control bumps/humps and a better police presence is the answer. Just look at the moron in the previously posted video, it's only a matter of time until this happens on Hudson, and what if instead of hitting a pole they hit a kid on the sidewalk?

AllanY2525

Speed bumps are not a problem for SUV's, Vans and trucks... they have tons
of ground clearance and heavy suspension components... but they can
make passenger cars scrape the road if driven over at fast speeds

As for city liability, they can posts signs that say "hump" or "speed bumps".
Drivers who obey the speed limits can drive right over them without damage,
unless they have broken shocks or severely sagging springs.... in which case
their vehicle has no right being on the road anways.

:)

rusty river

Stop signs won't solve the problem. Drivers have a tendency to accelerate much faster than normal after stop signs or on a road with frequent stop signs.

It's been studied and documented that the physical environment has much more of an impact on reducing automobile speed than stop signs and even posted speed limit signs.

Things like street trees and vegetation close to the right of way, especially when the trees are large enough to create a canopy over the road, create a an environment that feels confined and closed in. This gives the driver the perception that the road is narrower than it really is, and they are more likely to slow down. Another viable solution is vegetated curb extentions that stick out a couple feet into the right of way (such as west federal street downtown), literally narrowing the street and forcing drivers to be more mindful of their speed and other vehicles. They can be done alternating down a street so as to still allow emergency vehicles to travel through the middle unobstructed. And they look really nice when maintained.

If the problem is with the intersections, then roundabouts are the most effective solution at traffic management, reducing speed, and reducing accidents. Much more effective than stop signs. I've noticed traveling through some of the suburbs around Columbus that as intersections become more busy, they are removing traffic signals and stop signs and installing roundabouts. These are a little expensive though, and probably wouldn't suit side streets with low traffic.

Rick Rowlands

Over on the east side we have these self installing speed craters.  I find it hard to believe anyone can drive over 30 mph anywhere in the city.

Why?Town

The west side is a safer side of town. They must feel more comfortable patrolling over there.

joly1584

What happened to the saturation patrols the YPD had earlier this year? ???  They were on Old Furnace Road between Mill Creek Park and Bears Den Road twice this summer. YPD would have 3 or 4 patrol cars there at one time just waiting for speeders.

Why?Town

It's called Ghost Riding.  Here's a video of one of the major offenders on Hudson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhNZkDlQvLk&feature=related

Here's someone doing it wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qsL3eimpLg&feature=related

Elmo-Ytown

Liability? That's ridiculous, I say put in the speed humps, they are used other places with no problems. As for this "clowning" it sounds like a definite reason for a better police presence, it's only a matter of time until one of these cars hits something or someone.

jay

Another problem on Hudson

Evidently there is an activity known as clowning (may have another name).  Young men drive down Hudson, put the car in neutral, and then get out of the car and run along outside the car.
???

jay

Speed Bumps

The idea of speed bumps was presented to the City Engineer.  He claimed the bumps would present a liability problem for the city.  Also, the bumps would hamper movement of emergency vehicles such as fire trucks, police cars and ambulances.

Elmo-Ytown

How about YPD park out there and issue some tickets, novel idea I know....

AllanY2525

Put in some speed bumps...

If they wanna speed, then let them damage their vehicles - this is a great
motivation for them to just slow down!