News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Labor Day Walk - Monday, September 7

Started by jay, August 13, 2009, 06:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

sfc_oliver

I was looking for old pictures of stop 5 or even the center street entrance. I didn't have much luck but I did find this interesting Photo Stream from Sean Posey.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanposey/sets/72157600694957814/
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Rick Rowlands

The historical marker for the Little Steel Strike is now next to the open hearth sculpture at the Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor.

As for Stop 5, yes lives were lost at that location and it is a shame that the tunnel entrance had to be demolished.  However the fire station in which some of the strikers sought refuge still stands across the street. 

Towntalk

On the Square. Unless I'm mistaken its on the North Island or at least it was.

kenneyjoe330

I am very sorry to say I don't know where "the Little Steel Strine marker" is in downtown Youngstown.  Sounds like a good thing to do to me  8)

Towntalk

Suggestion:

Some time during Labor Day it might be a good idea to meet at the Little Steel Strine marker in downtown Youngstown.

kenneyjoe330

Oh Yes I can see there is quite a difference there.  Stop 5 on Poland Avenue into Republic Steel (near Powersdale) - with the underpass and tunnel has changed !  Isn't that where at least one life was lost during a strike ?  I suppose even though THE MILL is not there the new bridge is so different at the bottom of Walton Hill.  I wonder what the rest of the stops look like today ?  Oh Jay got your Brownie and Blue Dot Flash  8)

Rick Rowlands

I probably should have worded my response better.  The point I wanted to make is that since Center Street has changed so much it may not be the most appropriate location.  Both Walton Ave. and Salt Springs Road still largely maintain the appearance they had when the plants were in operation, while the Center Street bridge itself has been demolished and replaced by a new road built mostly on a fill.  Yes I am aware of the plant entrances from the original Center Street bridge, but as we say in preservation circles the location has lost its integrity due to the bridge replacement.

kenneyjoe330

My dear Mr. Rowlands I beg to differ with you concerning Center Street being a "typical entrance" for mill workers.  I certainly do not have ANY statictics but in my 60 Plus  ::) years I have been to most of the entrances and exits to "the mills"  and I can assure you the entrance on North side of Center Street Bridge near Poland Avenue was quite an entrance.  I have lived within a few blocks of Center Street and Poland Avenue.  I have walked across Center Street to church when the sidewalk was made of BOARDS and believe me it was a BIG DEAL when one or even two boards were missing  :o  as a kid or when a STEAM LOCOMOTIVE went by and you were anywhere near  ;D  THOSE WERE THE DAYS.  My Dad worked for Sheet and Tube and I picked him up or dropped him off many a time at Stop 14 at the bottom of Walton hill.  Neighbors and friends also worked and used various entrances and at times needed a ride to or be picked up from work - I have been to probably most entrances but am sure not all.  Trust me it was a busy entrance  ;)

john r. swierz

Actually, On the west side of the Center St bridge near the middle was a set of stairs that allowed workers to enter the Republic Steel plant.

Rick Rowlands

I'll participate, but that wasn't a typical entrance route for the mill workers.  Better locations would be to walk down Walton Ave. to Stop 14 or or down Salt Springs to the Ohio Works.  Maybe recreate Ed Mann's taking over of the US Steel office building.  "I'm going down that hill, and we are going to let the politicians know, and we're going to let US Steel know that Youngstowners got guts, and we are going to fight for our jobs!".

kenneyjoe330

8) "Sounds Like" a lot of WORK to me  ;D ! ! !   It would have a lot to do with "Time'n" too would it not ?  We could also bring a "brown bag" lunch and a Thermos with good coffee  :-* and will surely need it if you and John R give any speeches  ;D ;D ;D.  If it rains we can go under one of the bridges. The one by the river would be picturesque  ;) "Work Cloths" would be required and steel toed shoes if ya gottem - maybe a prize for the "best dressed" could be awarded - a free drink at the nearest bar   :)  We would also need a fire to get some "effect" and to heat up what ever our wife or mother packed for us to eat  :-*  Well what does anyone think ???

irishbobcat

we should meet at Adams school and walk down Indianola hill to the center street bridge for a short speech and salute the fallen mills on both sides of the bridge!

On the sidewalks of course.....that's not a parade!!!!!!!!

jay

Labor Day Walk
To Honor The Workers Of Youngstown

Monday, September 7

Join with your fellow workers as you walk the sidewalks of your neighborhood in support of the working people of Youngstown.