News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

People who walk in the street

Started by jay, May 06, 2003, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

I have seen this as well.  I think that every group does it for different reasons.  Most of which don't make a lot of sense.  I have seen the two in question, in the winter I thought it was due to snow on some side walks.  Those walks aren't THAT in even! I have seen plenty of people do just fine while pushing strollers or pulling wagons!

I have also seen a growing number of teens walking in the streets, this seems to be in an effort to make a statement that they can.  I have observed several times where it was made clear to passing cars that they WERE NOT moving.  This SMACKS of market street as it used to be when south High would let out.  I used to have to pass by regularly shortly after school let out and the streets would be crowded with kids walking as if the street was a walkway through YSU campus.  Walking with no regaurd at all for "One side or the other" just walking,  . . . . In the street, expecting the right of way.

Although I am sure that it is unrelated, I know that on South Hazelwood there has been a growing problem with kids on "mopeds" zipping up and down the streets and sidewalks breaking common sense rules on the sidewalks (nearly ran me down as I was cutting my grass and crossing the sidewalk) and carelessly "U-turning" without looking in the street, sometimes right in front of cars. . . . Tragedy waiting to happen.  Parents just  don't seem to care anymore.

Does anyone know what the laws are for mopeds? I had thought that they had to be licensed like motorcycles but had there own, and that operators had to have a licensed (and be 14 to get a licensed). Can anyone direct or set me straight on the laws on these??

MG

It isn't just those women that do it. Groups of  teens,preteens, and even other adults do it as well...and they don't think to wear light clothing either. I guess there isn't room for them to walk side by side on the sidewalk? Or maybe the sidewalk is extremely uneven?

It is a frightening experience to be driving and all of a sudden have pedestrians in your path.  It was my first thought when those kids were hit in Hubbard recently....where were they walking?  

We all know the rules on roads with no sidewalks, but does the majority of the public heed them??...walk toward traffic so you can jump out of way if the car isn't adjusting its course. Everyone seems to walk with their backs to the cars.

jay

This is an accident waiting to happen.

On several occasions, I have witnessed two older women walking side-by-side in the street on South Hazelwood Avenue after dark.  I don't understand why they do this when sidewalks are on both sides of the street.