News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

State Theater

Started by Towntalk, February 01, 2008, 11:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaime Hughes

Efforts for the facade to be saved will be attempted. I don't see why they cant because the facade is almost a free standing building, which stands almost a story and a 1/2 taller than the building itself.

After reading everything half of me wants to believe they are saving it and the other half makes me wonder if they are just going to mark it as unsalvagable and knock it down.

Fingers crossed all the hard work that we did pays off.

northside lurker

From what I've read, whoever is having the State demolished, hopes to save the facade in place.  But, there has been debate in the recent past about whether it can be saved.  From a Shout Youngsotnwn blog, ( http://shoutyoungstown.blogspot.com/2007/11/to-stay-or-not-to-stay-states-faade.html#links ) there is a passage from a Business Journal article saying: "While MS (the engineering company) will try to save the façade on the State, that may not be possible, Pierko warned. He sees the demolition efforts similar to those taken to raze the Higbee Building. The Higbee façade could not be saved and reused."
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

No, it was just mentioned in passing by a caller.

If the caller was right, and I stress IF, an effort should be made to salvage the facade, I agree, and find a new location for it. The only trouble would be the cost of it's removal, storage and relocation once a new site was found.  Where could we get the money from? Fund raisers in the past have met with little success.

northside lurker

I haven't heard anything.

Did they mention anything about saving the facade?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Heard on the Dan Rivers Show this morning that they will tear down the old State Theater soon. Does anyone have any further informationon this?