News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Salvation Army Building - Photo Update

Started by jay, November 30, 2007, 05:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

AllanY2525

Yes, the photo below IS a nice [new] view of the B. and O.
Now what they need to do is get a nice, illuminated sign
put up on that side of the building, facing Mahoning
Avenue.  Something on a 20-40 foot tall poll would be
great - it would be visible for some distance up Mahoning
Avenue.

yfdgricker

Too bad they couldn't haul that concrete and construction debris up the Y&S railroad. They haul C&D materials to a landfil along the line in Columbiana County. Seems to me it would be quite easy to drop a couple cars off on the side track there and just use the backhoe to load the cars up then connect up with the Y&S and run them out to the landfill. Hopefully they used a local company so the money stays here in the area.

Towntalk

That is also a great view of the B&O. I use to take the train out of there back in the days when I worked in Pittsburgh back in the 1960's. Would take the train out of Pittsburgh Friday evening and go back Sunday evenings. Those were the good old days.

jay

The Salvation Army building is only a pile of rubble now.  The demolition crews are salvaging the scrap steel  and hauling the thousands of tons of cement /brick debris to a landfill.

jay

Westsider,

Here is your photo.  It was taken this morning

northside lurker

When going by this morning, only the elevator tower remained.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

There was even less of the front, when I passed it last night.

--edit--

I think I spoke too soon.  There seemed to be a lot less last night, but it looked much like your picture this morning.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The Salvation Army building has now been cut in half.  The column to the right contains the freight elevator.