News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

What is there to do?

Started by Jaime Hughes, November 20, 2007, 03:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

There is a shortage of good people willing to get involved and do the work of saving this city.  Please stay active in whatever capacity you choose. 

Jaime Hughes

Do you guys really think that I even stand a chance? I value all of your opinions and if you really think that I can do it....then I'm going to at least try. We need a TRUE new breath of fresh air in this community.

rusty river

jay

Jaime,
Anthony Catale was recently elected to the Youngstown Board of Education.  I believe he is twenty years of age.

The next Youngstown City Council race will be in four years.  Please remain active in our community until then.

Jaime Hughes

I read in the paper that there was a fire set in the girls bathroom at Chaney. Then two boys were charged with assault for strangling a 16 year old girl with a mouse cord to a computer. On top of that I have a friend who is a science teacher at East who said that the school is just getting trashed for the most part. And to make all of our nights more amazing Wendy Webb got a contract renewal.

I hate to say this but I think that Youngstown's change needs to occur from the inside out. We need to change our board of education and put some very strict, militant men or women in there. These kids are getting off way to easy and don't seem to care. My other option was corporal punishment but that won't solve anything anymore, most kids have guns these days.

We are talking about making this city beautiful and I am all for that...but there are some things we need to target first.

1. Our kids of Youngstown... they need to be shaping up or shipping out. The parents need to take part blame for them being out of control. I used to volunteer at Taft Elementary and found that one of the young boys that I was helping ended up being abused over cheese crackers. They see their parents running around acting immature and distasteful and they don't feel that there is anything wrong with this.

2. Our Goverment.... for as much as I like Mayor Williams we need someone else in there. He has done a lot for Youngstown and I commend him for that. But we need to get someone in there that doesn't have the iron grip of a church around them. We need someone that is going to do things that are going to benefit our city reguardless.  I feel like 2010 hasn't gone anywhere in months and that is not good. This is a nationally recognized plan and it seems to be going backwards instead of forward.

3. Our history....I think that we should be taught a little more about our history. A lot of people that are concerned with our history are the people that lived to see it. I think that there should be a small course taught in Youngstown schools. Everyone looks at Youngstown as a ghetto and that's not true at all. Before we were murder capital, we were steel city and at one point 8th largest steel producer in America. Now what do we have to show for that?

4. Our strong points: Our northside is our strongest area besides the west side. I think that they need to make the guidelines for living/renting/buying a historical house a little more stronger. Too many crummy people buying up these houses and letting them go to trash. The neighbors aren't a HUGE problem....but when you let your mansions go to shambles then it reflects bad on the city. The previous generation is dying off and their houses are left to rot. If your not going to sell it...at least keep the curbside appeal.

5. Embrace YSU: I think that we need a college district on the northside, I know that fairgreen is pretty full of college kids as well as Ohio and that...but I think we need to make a few more streets just solely for YSU students. Like those houses on 5th avenue that were supposed to be for a medical park? That would be amazing for students because most can walk from there.

I wish that I had a little more respect, because I'd probably run for council. If I wasn't so worried about being laughed out of the elections I'd probably do it. If they saw a 20 year old college student running for council they'd probably think I was mentally unstable.

Any ideas how we can fix these or nurture the ideas I had brought up?