News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Angry again

Started by Towntalk, July 30, 2015, 10:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

upgraded my laptop to Win10 today...no problems and seems smooth....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

I already listed it:
Main Hard drive = 143GB
External Hard drive = 465GB

AllanY2525

Ok, Towntalk you have plenty of disk space for Windows to run good....just be sure
and keep at least 10 GB or so free on the "C" drive - Windows needs some working
space for itself.

Do you know how much memory is in your pc?

Towntalk

This computer
C Drive = 143 GB
H Drive = 465 GB
Total 608 GB

Current Free Space
C Drive = 77.2 GB
H Drive = 333 GB
Total Free Space = 410.02 GB

AllanY2525

From Microsoft's product life cycle support page:

Windows 7 is in it's extended support period, which does not end until
the year 2020.  This means you will continue to get security updates
and patches, bug fixes, etc at least until that year.

Windows Vista is still supported until 2017.

Firefox is a BETTER browser than Internet "Exploder" (LOL) and when you
install it, you will be asked if you want to import your settings, etc. from
Internet Explorer.

There are actually still versions of Firefox available for Windows XP, which reached
end-of-life April 8 of this year.  Don't let all the hype about Windows 10 scare
you, as you have plenty of time left to keep using  Windows 7.  When end-of-life
does come for Windows 7, you won't be blocked from using it, you just won't
get updates for it any more (just like Windows XP).

Microsoft is pushing hard for the upgrade due to a couple of things:

1)  A lot of folks out there still insist in using Windowx XP,  which is no
longer safe, because there are no more security updates for it and it is
a 12 year old operating system.  A lot of new software and hardware
won't work with XP.  This was way past due.

Apple and Android update their O.S. every year or two, by comparison.

2) Windows 8/8.1 was a miserable FAILURE - especially for tablet computers,
but then this was Microsoft's very first effort to make Windows for tablets so I
cut them some slack.  8.1 was a quick fix for the start menu fiasco. 

Apple's IOS and Android OS have been around for several years and have both
had the opportunity to develop and mature.  Microsoft got a LOT of user input
this time around  so Windows 10 should be MUCH improved on tablets and
other mobile devices.  Microsoft knows they are behind in the tablet and device
segment and wants to regain market share - SO MUCH SO that they are willing
to give the free upgrade to Win 7 and Win 8.

3) Internet Explorer is ancient, flawed and VULNERABLE to many exploits.  It
needs to be retired.  Windows 10  brings a completely new and up to date browser
which is faster and more secure.

If your computer has a 1 Ghz or better processor, 4 gigs of RAM and a decent
video adapter, it should run Windows 10 without a problem.  Windows 7
already recommended 4 GB of RAM, and if you have less than that, memory
chips are fairly cheap these days.  Most PC's can be upgraded by plugging in
a couple 2 GB chips.

Peggy Gurney

There is a link in Chrome settings to import your favorites into Chrome.  I'm not sure right off where it is, I'm not at my pc.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I added Chrome this afternoon, but the problem now is that I have a long list of facebook groups that I go to, and Crome along with Firefox doesn't have them in my favorite list. Now I have IE; Chrome and Firefox. Thanks for the Chrome tip.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Nicholas Serra on July 30, 2015, 02:05:50 PM
Also, get rid on Internet Explorer. Download google chrome. It has the most support for modern web pages.

Totally agree.  I ditched IE years ago.  I have both Google Chrome and the latest Firefox on my PC and Laptop.
Google Chrome is much more stable than IE, plus looks similar and runs so much smoother.  Also has many of the same features as IE, plus some.

I also have Firefox because, I just like it.  :)
~ Normal is overrated ~

Nicholas Serra

Also, get rid on Internet Explorer. Download google chrome. It has the most support for modern web pages.

Nicholas Serra

Operating system doesn't really have much to do with website support. As long as they keep releasing updates to the browsers you will be fine. My PC is still on windows 7 and I have no plan on upgrading it.

Towntalk

I checked out the "free" business but it said that it would "take weeks to download. C-net offers free download of Internet Explorer 11 but gives it bad reviews it is unstable.

Peggy Gurney

hmmm i have not run across this issue yet. ugh I will be looking for it.
But I have NO intention of upgrading to the first release of Windows 10. I wait until at least the 3rd update to avoid most of the bugs and glitches. This time will be no different.

BTW - I'm still using Windows 7 Premium Home edition.  ;)
~ Normal is overrated ~

sfc_oliver

Have you heard that the windows 10 upgrade will be free for about a year starting yesterday?
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

I am furious beyond all measure. I am perfectly content with the computer and operating system that I have, but now I'm being told that unless I buy a new computer with the latest operating system that many of the sites that I use will no longer support Windows 9 . This is blackmail! This computer has tons of personal stuff on two hard drives that would have to be transfered to a new hard drive. Many of the sites that I go to are business sites. Now I'm told that YouTube will no longer support my computer so what is next? Will facebook be the next to no longer support my version of Explorer? I do also have Firefox which won't be non supported, but I can't seem to be able to copy YouTube files and paste them to my facebook page. I'd like to tell all these sites -- "Get stuffed!" but what good would it do? Again, everything seems to be gearing toward hand held devices and pushing the day when desktops will be nothing more than useless paperweights. I'm on my computer every day whether its just to listen to music or surf the internet most of the day, and if I switched to a tablet or whatever, I'd need new batterys every day, and that is out of the question. So what's the answer? Right now a new computer is out of the question, just as it's out of the question to have a computer shop take my computer and install the new operation system and save my files as that would cost just as much as a new computer.

So much for spleen venting.