News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Should Drones Be Banned In Youngstown?

Started by jay, July 22, 2015, 08:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Quote from: sfc_oliver on July 23, 2015, 08:38:08 PM
Technology has caught up and surpassed the law. Not the first time. I wonder who decided we needed a stop sign?

So now we have to figure out just how smart we are and find ways to control type and reasons for drones, and at the same time Find ways to spot those which may be dangerous and have a way to bring them down.

Not an easy question and there will be no easy answer.

This is a very frightening and real threat.  Hopefully, our military and civil defense
entities have already been considering counter measures in case of an attack, and
how we can start deploying these SOON.

A radio controlled model car, plane, helicopter, boat, tank or other toy that is small
an moves reasonably fast could be used in an attack.   RF jamming would probaby be
the easiest, fastest way to disable them. 

All commercial civilian devices in this country that emit RF energy are required by law
to be registered with the FCC - and submit data on the fequencies used,  etc. before
they even hit the market.

The FCC also sets limits on the output power of civilian radio transmitters, so drones
designed as hobby toys operate on pretty low wattage radios - doesn' t take much
to jam their signals. 

The hardest ones to defend against would be the home made ones, since no technical
data would be available on them - but broad spectrum RF jamming could still be used
at close range. 

Our military has had radio jamming and tracking equipment for decades.  Tracking
and jamming techniques were used during World War 2 by both sides and it has
become much more sophisticated and more powerful since those times.

Other defensive possibilities include "EMP" devices.   An EMP would kill just about
anything electrical within range  and fry sensitive electronic circuits.  A "Hail Mary"
counter measure be sure - but EXTREMELY effective.

Towntalk

Again, we would agree that it would be OK to ban using drones in Youngstown, but what about law enforcement? Are you opposed to local, state and federal law enforcement agencies using drones? And how are you going to stop a terrorist from launching drones? There are laws oncerning hijacking aircraft, but that doesn't stop them from hijacking them. Remember 9/11?

jay

It would be a good time for city council to discuss drones.

This won't happen.  City council is on vacation for the remainder of the summer.   :P

jay

Towntalk

Jay, we agree with you, but the question is how and what can we do. The FBI uses drones, local and state police use drones, the military uses drones, so we have no idea who launched them, and obviously government will not pass laws about the use of drones. Now, terrorists have drone technology and have threatened to use them against us. Given all this, what can we do?

jay

I would not like to have a drone hovering over my neighborhood or event.  There is no way of telling if it is simply taking pictures or that the operator has some sinister intent.

Towntalk

Drones are not the only problem. For the past three years the Russians have been placing Star Wars satellites into orbet capable of being moved into other orbits to kill all our satellites.

sfc_oliver

Technology has caught up and surpassed the law. Not the first time. I wonder who decided we needed a stop sign?

So now we have to figure out just how smart we are and find ways to control type and reasons for drones, and at the same time Find ways to spot those which may be dangerous and have a way to bring them down.

Not an easy question and there will be no easy answer.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

AllanY2525

Technically, people own the air space over their property (up to a certain
altitude)...last I heard.

I haven't googled it all, but it seems to me that at the very least, having
a drone hovering over your property could be considered trespassing,
harassment, and depending in the time of day - disturbing the peace.

I don't think the law has quite caught up to the technology just yet.  I
also suspect that having an armed aircraft is illegal for civilians.

Maybe the city could pass an ordinance saying what is and is not allowable,
and requiring some type of license or permit to operate the craft within the
city limits.

jay

Towntalk

Democracy in it's finest sense at work.

sfc_oliver

No.

First off define a drone.

Then talk about what is and isn't constitutional about them.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>