News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Businesses Object To Downtown Street Closings

Started by Peggy Gurney, June 17, 2015, 11:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Yes, down by the river would be ideal for the festivals.  Plenty of land, plenty of parking, and it doesn't interfere with the normal functioning of downtown. 

Towntalk

This is the Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfict answer.  :laugh: It would solve a multitude of problems don't you know.  :laugh: Ol' Mama Nature has been doin' a good job in keepin' the downtown festival free but lets hope that Old Sol sticks out his head so that the Simply Slavic Festival goes off without a hitch, cause I want to see Dennis hop up onto a table and do a polka while munchin on a large kielbasi sandwich, and chuggin' down a pitcher of beer.

AllanY2525

I really hope the amphitheater project becomes a reality.  There are acres of vacant land
between the Covelli Center and the site of the former Wean United complex.... all that land along
the river and between South Ave and Market Street bridges just sitting there, doing nothing
and looking UGLY.....

This would be a perfect place for festivals, maybe even an annual summer fair with some rides for
the kiddies... (and us grown kids, too...)

;D

Irishbobcat

I don't do classical polkas....I dance to hunky polkas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfjroWDl6RY

cc4

According to the song lyrics, Janko stole the keishka.  But Stashu brought it back. 

There will be no keishka at Simply Slavic, but there will be plenty of stuffed cabbage,

kielbassi and kraut, pirohi, halushki, etc.  Many of the area churches (along with a few

businesses) are doing the cooking so it will be authentic Slavic food.  Hope to see many of

our forum friends there on Saturday.  Babushka not required!

As to the safety concerns, prior to any festival, safety forces are part of the preparation process.

They also have access onto the festival area itself. 

Towntalk

Towntalk

You might very well have the answer my friend.

Irishbobcat

Simply Slavic uses East Federal only on a Saturday....not too many businesses are open then and basically it's in front of Eastgate Community College and the parking deck.

Joe Maxx Coffee is affected...but they stay open and actually do more business!

People can still get to the ATM machine at the bank and to the Y.....maybe all festivals should look into this setting....

Towntalk

By the same token, what if an ambulance is needed at one of the office buildings on East Federal when there is a festival?  Those offices do not close for festival days.
As to using East Commerce, if that is such an inconvience, there still is East Front, and don't tell me that YFD uses that street to get to where they have to go on the East Side.
As far as I'm concerned, downtown Youngstown benefits more from the businesses that are there the year around. They pay the taxes, they employ the people, not the occassional festival, and certainly not the occassional festival goer. If people want our downtown to be a festival grounds, then chase all the businesses out of the downtown area and make it one big fairground. Close all the city and county buildings. Stop any new busineses from setting up shop on the downtown area.
None of that will happen.
As forMcGiffen ... LOOK and look good, HE'S THERE NOW! As to past holders of that job, they were just as wrong, BUT THAT DOES NOT EXCUSE McGIFFEN!  >:(
HE'S THERE NOW!  >:(  SO IT'S HIS CALL!  >:(

joly1584

Many of these festivals were started before Mr. McGiffin took office.  I know some business people that like the job he is doing much better than his two predecessors. 

Who is going to argue with Italian Fest about where they can set up?  Do they want to risk it moving back to Canfield?

How much say do safety services have in what roads are closed?  Firetrucks from Station 1 take Commerce or Front Street when heading to the East side or South Ave.  I can see it being more difficult for firetrucks, ambulances etc having to take Federal if Commerce or Front are closed.

Towntalk

Towntalk

All of Federal Street should be off limits to festivals.  >:( At one time I admit that I supported the festivals, but that does not mean that I could change my mind does it?  ???  Right now these events could be held on East Commerce or East Front with no problems at all, yet the KNOW IT ALL HALF WIT that is running downtown events doesn't have the brain power to realize that.  >:(  We need to throw him under a WRTA bus by giving him a one way ticket out of town and put someone in who will work with the downtown businesses instead of against them.

Peggy Gurney

It's not the festivals or the eateries they're complaining about.  It's W. Federal being blocked off and causing them to lose business.  Most of these festival people do NOT eat at the downtown businesses during festivals. They eat *gasp* FESTIVAL FOOD.    :o So I'm sorry, but no matter how they want to spin it, or how many different ways they tell it, they're doing downtown businesses a disservice by holding these festivals on Federal.  Use Front street or Commerce, and leave the business district open. It's not that difficult to understand.

If they keep it up, this downtown resurgence that they've been touting and so proud of is going to begin sifting right through their fingers - to the burbs.
~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

West Federal Street should not be used for weekday festivals.

Last year or so I expressed the concerns of downtown eateries that lose business when any festival (serving food) takes place on a weekday.  Some on this Forum did not agree with me at all at that time.