News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Lost tradition

Started by Towntalk, November 28, 2014, 09:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Quote from: Towntalk on July 23, 2015, 07:07:42 AM
I'm suprised that after all this time, Allan, you were the first to notice meters vs kilicycles.

LOVE the wood box enclosure on that transmitter....LOL.

Yeah, my dad was a shortwave radio hobbyist when  I was a kid...they use the term "meters"
to refer to the different frequency ranges.

Towntalk

This may well be the first time a High School football gabe was broadcast live here in Youngstown. Also, if I'm also not mistaken, the station had to take its transmitter to the game.

The photo below is of WKBN's first transmitter which would have been in use in 1926.

Towntalk

I'm suprised that after all this time, Allan, you were the first to notice meters vs kilicycles.

AllanY2525

One interesting trivia fact I didn't catch before in the ad:

The radio station is described in meters versus the frequency.
I looked it up online and it works out to around 1,000 on the AM dial.

I bet the golden days of radio were very entertaining, indeed.  Love
to see photos of the old tube radios.

Towntalk

Back in the day, it was not unusual for the printers at the Vindy to keep at least one bottle of booze in one of their lockers ... By the way the ad was from 1926. It was always near the john so that they would have an excuse to leave their station to get a nip of fortification so to speak, and come lunch time, it was usually liquid so to speak.

Towntalk

AllanY2525

Quote from: sfc_oliver on December 02, 2014, 02:10:38 PM
Was probably written by a Rayen Graduate.

;D

Sir!   I RESEMBLE that remark!!

lol

Towntalk

More like one of the linotype operators who was tipsey.

sfc_oliver

Was probably written by a Rayen Graduate.

;D
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

What? ??? ???
A typo by a composer who had too much Thanksgiving grog.  :laugh:

jay

Towntalk

Back in the day, one of the most important Thanksgiving traditions was the Youngstown High School Thanksgiving football game that drew thousands of local football fans. Sad how long standing traditions are thrown away like last weeks garbage.