News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"The Point, Buckeye Park and The 7th Ward"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, January 02, 2014, 08:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Ron: I'm not up on zoning regulations, but we do have John on our side, and he knows which strings to pull, and ways to manuvure around the burocrats in City Hall, so I would defer any opinion to him since as 7th Ward Councilman he has the most to gain.

Youngstownshrimp

TT, the zoning on the Point properties (two structures) are 437 Food/Service Structure, I could not find that in the Youngstown Zoning code, any ideas?

Towntalk

Ron:
You well know my passion for music as do others, and while our passion moves in different directions, music is music and the perfect balm for the soul, so I visualize the day when the project is completed and one of the annual events would be a Jazz Festival as a weekend event bringing in the local Jazz bands and singers for a three day event starting on a Friday night and ending Sunday night.

Personally speaking, this idea could be expanded to Ethnic Weekend music events, which could make the venue quite busy all summer long.
Example: German Weekend with a tie-in with local micro breweries.
[I hope I'm not giving any ideas to Mill Creek Park folks.]

As some folks know, I'm a big fan of Andre Rieu, and would wish that locally some visionary could form a Youngstown version of the JSO orchestra, but in the meantime, as I've told you, music is music no matter whether it's a small Jazz band or a 30 piece orchestra, and it is the one thing that bonds people together, and marks all of us as human beings.

Youngstownshrimp

Well TT,as you well know, I have studied and lived among the City dwellers for 18 years, in your neighborhood in fact.  First of all we are dealing with most who for economic reasons were not able to migrate into the suburbs and this mind you is not a bad thing, it is reality.  Statistics will also reveal education either formal or self taught is on the lower end.  Basically, us Youngstowners have not been the type that create production or innovation for that matter.  So for us Youngstowners to absorb vision and advancement, it is a challenge, which may only be overcome by a trust to accept and place into the hands of the qualified to perform.  Remember in the Bible, these words are true in Youngstown, "If the people have no vision, they will die."
I like your spunk that you are in it for the long hall, this is the quality of a leader.  My associates have strongly advised not to bother with the City, but I have a passion for Youngstown believe it or not.
The good Councilman Sweirz and I have been talking about this project and it is he who expressed interest in The Point houses for the community.  This afternoon, he has informed me of a meeting we are to have with the County Landbank next week.  As many know here, I am not a fan of the Landbank, but it is not entirely up to me on which way we go on the Point property.  Right now, the response I am getting is that the 7th Ward would like to see a small park on the Point Ala' The Peterson Park we (Town One Streetscapes) built in Poland Village.
I would have liked to see input from 7th Ward citizens on this subject, but maybe we are asking for too much.

Towntalk

I won't try to figure people out at this point Ron, but I just wonder what the reaction would be if this project were to be built on the West Side rather than in the 7th Ward. I know that were it built here on the North Side that we would be dancing for joy at having yet another grand venue here, for after all, the North Side is after all is said and done, the only side of town that has culture locked up ... Stambaugh Auditorium ... YSU ... three museums ... two major art gallery's ... two hospitals ... the main branch of the Public Library.
Far be it from me to stick my nose up into the stratisphere over the other sides of town, but facts are facts.
As I said, there are many reasons why your project would be a welcome asset to the 7th Ward, so since it's been only a couple of days since you first brought forward the idea I'm prepared to be in for the long haul even if it means driving folks right up the proverbial tree.
There is an old story that applies here.
A farmer had just purchased a new tractor and wanted to sell the mule that he had previously used to plow his field.
Finally one day another farmer came up to him and offered to buy the mule, and farmer John said: You'll have no regrets, I used old Jenny for ten years and she did a beautiful job for me, but now I need a tractor.
The next fall at the County Fair farmer Brown met farmer John and complained about the mule not living up to his billing.
"Oh didn't I tell you that after you hook her up to the plow, you've got to whack her up side her head with a 2 by 4 to get her attention."
Well Ron, I guess we need to apply farmer John's technique to get the attention of people.

Youngstownshrimp

TT, amazing we see no peep from anyone in the 7th ward.  They must not be as interested in this point in their hood than you and I.  What do you call it, complacency?

Towntalk

Consider this in connection with Ron's vision.
Buckeye Plat Field is a city park, yet the city has never fully developed it. Now the city is talking about downsizing it's park system, so this is a good opportunity for the private sector to take this 8.33 acres and couple it with Ron's ideas to build up a center for entertaining all of us.
The city has been talking about building an amphitheater, so what better place could that be than here, and by turning it over to the private sector, it would save money. The cost would be half what it would be downtown if not greater, and because there would not be any remediations involved, that would only add to the savings, and as to size, it would be perfect. And for the folks in the 7th Ward, it would be a great asset.
Even more importantly, it's location is perfect for those outside the city who fear going downtown to events.

Towntalk

What is ironic is the fact that I don't live in the 7th Ward, yet that doesn't stop me from seeing the vision that Ron has and fully support it, because of what this project could lead to.
My vision may be much grander than Ron's in scale, but that doesn't matter.
Look at it this way, there was a time when there was no Mill Creek Park as we know it. Parts were use as garbage dumps ... the lakes weren't there ... parts of it were industrial ... yet look at what one man's vision produced ... yes, I said one man ... Volney Rogers, not the powers that be at the time, but one man of vision, and the vision of those who belived in Rogers and his vision.
Ron's vision is not as big in scale, but the end results are very much the same ... producing something that would benefit the community as a whole, and that is what we should all be about.

Youngstownshrimp

Right on TT!
Of course like Alan knows, we will never put these paroperties in our names  because as soon as a warm body is attached to these buildings.  The Genius of Youngstown leaders would immediately haul you into building court and SLAP you with building code violations.  They will torment you even though you were not the owner when the properties went downhill. Their intellect will attack you the investor, wherein, like me you will never invest in structures again in Youngstown.
Now when the City successfully applies this great leadership strategy with everyone who dares to invest in Youngstown, GUESS WHAT?  No one invest anymore and  when our great leaders KILL demand, supply is abundant and valueless!  Huray!, our leaders have successfully made Youngstown into what it is today, real estate that is a LIABILITY.
To top it off, because of the fleeing of investors and worthless housing in Youngstown, since the bottom of the barrel are unqualified leaders, you have the FAKE NONPROFITS that scurry into town, snake oil salesman, saying community organizing will set us free, will raise entire values, "Kill the SLUMLORDS!"  Look what they have done to you housing stock!  So to disguise their motive of PORK SALARIES, they create their nonprofits and suck up MO taxpayer mula and build cheap houses like CHOICE, COMMONWEALTH and JUBILEE, that has a great plan for houses all over the City that after 15 years of occupancy, you can buy it for $85,000! You never hear about these houses all over the hood anymore, they exist though.
Now you have YNDC, showing us the way to invest into Youngstown real estate.  Crap! anyone can invest and look good, if you throw money at them.  It ain't even American free enterprise anymore.
So, why am I a little pissed, because this project can be done, by the good old American Free enterprise.......if the new City leaders, do not ACT like the buffoons who threw this great City away.  If D'Avignon gets involved, forget it, a mental waste and futility in what not to do.  The MVOC?  run the other way, they would want socialize it.  No, the 7th ward can do it by looking away from Yesterday's pork job. 
I have listed the assets to a project like this, and this can become reality like what we have done outside of the City limits.  So like TT is doing, roll up your sleeves and put effort forth, once this is noticed by the free market, everything will fall in place.     

Towntalk

Are these the buildings?

Youngstownshrimp

We control the two buildings that can be demo'd.  Notice the existing patio at the point.  The pavilion can take up the entire footprint of the two houses with sufficient parking along side, not to mention the park.
Thanks TT for producing.

Towntalk

Idea for sign. Note, the yellow portion would be for naming events and would light up ... a sort of theater marque

Towntalk

Youngstownshrimp

Towntalk

For those not familiar with Buckeye Park.